• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run 1 stick of ddr2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trainwreck

OK I know this is a dumb question but can I run one stick of ddr2 ?

What is the disadvantages of doing so??

wreck

You will lose about 5-10% performance with your PC. 1 stick for memory instead of 2 means you only have half the memory bandwith, at least if the platform you use can use a dual channel memory setup

not too sure about the newer boards , I am still stuck on DDR , but in that case you arent in dual channel , but ... its ok to do that. I only run stick in all my folders except this one . Your memory wont be optimized but yeah you can .

ASUS P5ND2-SLI motherboard is what I have with a 930d processor and 1- 512 stick of ddr2 waiting on another but would like to use this setup and test the stick I have
Would it cause a unstable condition during overclocking
TRINWRK

Yep, feel free to go ahead and use one stick just now then you can add another later :D

ahbroody said:
so then running 2 512 sticks of ddr2 6400 is better than 1gb stick of same????
Mike

Yes, as dual channel memory controllers can be accessing both sticks at the same time, improving performance by ~5-10%.

David said:
Yep, feel free to go ahead and use one stick just now then you can add another later :D

Thanks David and Klingens thats the kind of straight forward answers I was looking for.

David

I had a friend visit family in Scotland maybe you know him.

Is it true that scotch whiskey comes from Scotland

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I know their bad Jokes but they still make me laugh, but I really do know a guy I work with that goes to visit his family in Scotland and I really do enjoy a good glass of scotch.

TRINWRK

Back