• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deja Vue - My Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StrandedMartian

orderin this rig i think -

any critique?

intel 6600 core2duo
MSI p965 platinum MOBO
sapphire 1950xt 256mb GC
crucial ballistix 2x1gb 5300 3-3-3-12
WD 400gb 7200rpm 16mb cache
thermaltake tsunami
enermax 500w
3X SATA to IDE converters for my 320gb,250gb &120gb IDE drives
Zalman CNPS9500 cooler

i was gonna wait for dx10 and vista but i figured, if the games really start comin out and they are worth it, ill sell my 1950xt for a small loss and get the dx10 card midnext year. i can get vista for free through work.

Welcome to the forums!

The basic layout looks good, though others would likely recommend the Asus P5B Deluxe or others over the MSI. MSI is a bit hit and miss on the overclockability of the boards. There's a decent review here:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6702&page=1

Ram and the rest of the core components look fine. I would recommend changing the PSU to a more powerful and stable variant. The Silverstone ST56ZF comes strongly recommended and has a stroung single 12V rail.

As an alternative to PATA to SATA adapters, consider a PCI controller card.

i was thinkin of gettin this ps instead:

THERMALTAKE W0073RU PUREPOWER 520W (BLACK) ATX 12V VERSION 2.0 UL & FCC POWER SUPPLY FOR ATX CASES

also, what is the benefit of a pci controller card instead of PATA adapters?

i have 3 ATA hard drives plus 1 optical drive i want to use in my new build.

Taken out of context, but these are better options in that power range:

Oklahoma Wolf said:
There are much better options out there, including the OCZ Powerstream 520W as mentioned, Sparkle FSP550PLG-SLI, PC P&C 510W, Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF, or Zippy HP2-6460P/6500P or PSL-6701P.

The Thermaltake has 30A in two 12V rails is not really an ideal PSU for a power hungry rig.

The PCI adapter reduces complexity in the signal paths, eliminates multiple points of potential failure and reserves the SATA ports for native devices. It's probably also less expensive than buying separate adapters and may have reduced latency as well. The optical drive should be connected to the onboard PATA port. You may have booting problems otherwise.

Back