• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Good Are ABIT motherboards? & The ABIT UL8 Board In Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I'm just asking as I take this Socket A PC apart tommorrow and was looking for a last min 939 board with a AGP slot. It would save me cash on buying DDR2 memory and 939 CPU's are slightly cheaper than AM2.

I have seen the ABIT UL8 board and was wondering how good ABIT are and is this board any good.

Mods: Sorry I tried deleting it and puttin it in ABIT part.

Quality and stability wise they are good boards, but the days of when they made good overclockers are gone, this doesn't mean that they don't overclock at all it just means that their boards are no longer known for their overclockability.

Arrr good just that on a few reviews from people they state it wouldn't power up and I was thinking that they OCed and it couldn't boot-up after that.

I don't think you should go with the Socket 939 board. It might be cheaper right now, but long term the upgrade path isn't going to be as good. Unless you only upgrade once every 2-3 years and plan to just do a total overhaul when you upgrade again, the AM2 is quite a bit more future proof.

Also regarding Abit boards, how come in the Abit forum everyone is complaining about their quality? Is it just that no on bothers going in the sub forums, so a few self-selecting people end up there who have problems? I have always had good luck with Abit boards, but the complaints in the Abit sub forum kind of has made me worried about buying another one.

Nagorak said:
Also regarding Abit boards, how come in the Abit forum everyone is complaining about their quality? Is it just that no on bothers going in the sub forums, so a few self-selecting people end up there who have problems? I have always had good luck with Abit boards, but the complaints in the Abit sub forum kind of has made me worried about buying another one.
You have to remember that it's a manufacturer's forum, linked to from abit's web site and it's the 1st place that newbies come looking for help. Also you have to understand that mostly only people who are having problems are posting there and the ratio to boards sold is small. So where are all the good ones? Not at abit forums (except a few regulars).

Hope I said that correctly...:beer:

Ive read this kind of thing before about the Abit AMD boards, It seem so odd to me as Ive had 3 good Intel ones, my first was a IC7-G, great board and in part why I stayed with them for my next two.

I was just talking in general terms and not just relating to AMD or Intel. Every board out there has it's quirks too.

maxwedge said:
You have to remember that it's a manufacturer's forum, linked to from abit's web site and it's the 1st place that newbies come looking for help. Also you have to understand that mostly only people who are having problems are posting there and the ratio to boards sold is small. So where are all the good ones? Not at abit forums (except a few regulars).

Hope I said that correctly...:beer:

Well I was talking about the Abit AMD board in this forum.

Abit was the darling of the enthusiast crowd until they got rid of Oskar Wu, who went to DFI, what were they smoking when they made that decision? Apparently they wanted to go main stream and not just cater to the overclocking crowd. They farmed out the manufacturing to ECS and it’s been all downhill from there. Hey O/C.com didn’t even have a DFI section until Oskar Wu started designing boards for them. Looks like DFI’s star is rising and Abit….Well……..We’ll see?

The last Abit board I had was a NF7-S which was a great board and one of the last of the Oskar Wu designed boards, a friend of mine was looking for a board and I recommended the NF7-S V-2, well he went to the store and came back with a NF7-S2. This board was a piece of crap. No overclocking options and had a problem with random crashing. I won’t buy another Abit board any time soon and I have had many of them….LX6, BH6, KT7A, NF7-S. At one time Abit was the only board I’d buy. So I say bye bye Abit not buy buy.

Back