• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tuniq 120 + P5W DH Dlx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

I have this mobo as my sig shows and I just ordered the Tuniq to install on it. I purchased an AeroCool 120mm Extreme Turbine 1000 Fan to use in it. I hope it will be ok for this.

Anyway I have two questions...well three actually if you consider I am asking if that is a good fan for this heatsink. It is the only one I can find that might be ok that also has bling. I need my blue LEDs!

1: What is the total size in inches that the tower protrudes from the mobo. I have a window fan directly in front of the CPU slot and I am hoping it will be able to stay there.

2: Can I install this heatsink on this mobo with the fan blowing UP towards the top blowhole? The P5W DH Dlx comes with an optional NB chipset fan that they tell you not to use with air cooling, because it might interfere with the CPU fan. If I am OK blowing the CPU fan UP towards the blow hole in the case do you think I can use the NB fan?

EDIT: fixed the link to the fan.

Thanks

Last edited:
You aren't going to get stellar performance with that fan. A mouse can fart harder than that fan blows. I can't understand why people try to use such a low cfm fan on a heatsink like the TT-120 (I have one, BTW). The fins are much denser packed than something like a Ninja and you will need a certain amount of static air pressure to efficiently move enough air for cooling. IMO, you need a fan with at least 60 cfm to get very good results with the TT-120. The stock fan is good and comes with a speed controller, but has no bling like you want. I have also tried the Scythe S-Flex (63 cfm and pretty darn quiet) in my TT-120 and while it doesn't have the bling, it does do a great job and is quieter than the stock fan.

As far as bling and a fan suitable for the TT-120, I have no idea. I go for function first, then bling. :)

1. I don't know and I'm presently at work so I can't check it out. But it's pretty tall and unless you have a very wide case you will have to lose the side fan.

2. I never tried mounting mine like that. I blow it directly at my exhaust fan at the back of the case.

OK so the first part of the puzzle is answered. Thank you mudd. If I have to scrap the bling then I will go with the Scythe. I thought I read somewhere that you do not need much pressure with the TT 120 due to the way the fan sits inside a "tunnel".

Does anybody know of a good fan to put in here that has the blue LEDs? If not I guess I will go with the scythe.

maybe this one will be ok? I use it on my AC Freezer 7 Pro and it is a bit loud at full blast, but i have it at 1400rpm right now and its very quiet. Its also got that bling you want ;)

I just installed a Tuniq Tower on my dads setup with an E6600 and a P5W DH Deluxe. The fan that comes with the tower has a fan controller that can turn the fan speed up pretty good and bring it down to a whisper. It dropped his temps almost 20c.

enz660 said:
maybe this one will be ok? I use it on my AC Freezer 7 Pro and it is a bit loud at full blast, but i have it at 1400rpm right now and its very quiet. Its also got that bling you want ;)

Yes that is actually the fan I ordered. I made a mistake with the link on original post here.

Thanks for all your input guys, now if somebody has any ideas about whether or not I can mount it so the fan forces air toward the top blow hole fan and if I can use the NB cooler fan that comes with the P5W DH Dlx mobo.

Thanks all

Ok for one, yes you can mount the heatsink either way u want. I doubt you want it pointing up tho. It might be better to have front to back airflow through your case with your top vent just removing the hot air.. The tuniq tower sticks out pretty far, you can get the exact specifications from where you puchased it, I found 108mm is its height.
Also I would recommend to just stick with the fan that comes with the heatsink though the fan you chose would also be a good choice but i really dont see any more gains than a degree or two in temps at best

Last edited:
I'm presently in the process of rebuilding my Opty system since the damn Epox board crapped out in the middle of doing some heatsink testing and I am starting the tests back over with the TT-120 on the replacement board. I just shut down my install and measured the installed height for you and the TT-120 is 6 1/2 inches tall from the surface of the mobo on this socket 939 board. I imagine it should be within 1/8 inch one way or the other on an Intel board too as there doesn't look to be much difference in socket heights between the 2 platforms. So if you have 6 1/2 inches of room between the mobo surface and the case side fan you shouldn't have problems mounting it.

Hope this helps you out, jimmsch. :)

OOO it's going to be tight. Doing an airplane measurement it looks REAL close. I will shut down and get an accurate measurement tonight. Thanks for the info mudd and all.

If you are not going to replace it with a LED fan why not just use the stock fan as it should do fine. S-Flex? You might want to do some reading on those, I see a lot of bad things about them here and other places on the net.

the tuniq fan (stock or not) will blow enough air to cool your NB heatpipe, so you don't need to point it up nor use the NB fan included. From what i hear around these forums Aerocool is a horrible company and their CFM raitings are lies. the stock tuniq fan runs about 2038rpm on full blast, i'm going to upgrade it as well, but to this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344

i've got so many blue lights in my case i don't need it inside the tuniq as well (especially because the top of the tuniq is coverd by a black plate, but here's a lit blue one that may blow a bit more air (but its loud aparently)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999122

Oh I didn't know they lied...that's wrong on alot of levels. Well if it doesn't move enough air I guess I will go with a "no bling" fan. The TT (thanks for finding it by the way) got LOUD reviews and I don't need any more loudness.

Anyway my TT120 came in today and I had a look at it. The bottom contact area is rough looking. It is not polished smooth like most other heat sinks. Should I sand it down smooth?

I will measure right now to see if it will fit with my side window fan in place...brb

Well it doesn't look good. According to my calculations I have only 6 1/8" from the face of the mobo with the fan mounted on the inside of the window. Removing the fan from the inside will give me 1" more clearance. I guess I will have to mount it on the outside, or not at all. :( Maybe I will get a bigger case. Will it fit in the Antec 900 with a side fan? Any ideas what case will work with this setup? I need a shiny black case with nice big window. I love my Ultra Aluminus but if I have to sel it then so be it.

Last edited:
Lapping your heatsink usually doesnt offer much of a difference maybe minimal of a few degrees. Id mount it and see how your temps are to see how bad the bottom really is. Mine wasnt a mirror finish but it was a decent finish and i get great temps. I wouldnt use the side fan. It probably wont make much of a difference.

Well I did a scientific test with the fans. I plugged them into a modded PSU I use for testing and held my hand in front of them. While it seems that the stock Tuniq fan might move a klittle more air it is VERY loud. The Aero Extreme Turbine seems to move enough air with half the noise. The difference in the air moved by the two fans was minimal, so I will install this weekend with the aero X turbine and hopefully see a nice temp drop.

EDIT: OK I put the highly reccomended TT120 in my machine. $65 shipped. The only real boost I get is that I was able to make alot of my cables disappear while I had it all apart. Other than it seems to be a hair bit quieter. 0 degree C temp drop. For $65? Worth it. No WAY. In fact as I now look at TAT the temp has actually gone up 2 degrees C. I think I might put my Zalman back in.

10 minutees later doing nothing but reading these forume, temps are now up 3 degrees C compared to the Zalman.

EDIT: About an hoyr later. I reseated the damn thing cuz I know that is what everybody is going to tell me to do. So far pretty much idle, just reading these forums, the temps seem to have a 3 degreeC drop from the Zalman. $65 for 3 degrees? I don't know.

Maybe tomorrow I will try using the stock fan, but like I said the one real advantage to the set up I have now is the noise level is low. I know the stock fan is louder, but I guess I will try it and see what the temps do.

Last edited:
jimmsch, did you have any problem install the Tuniq Tower 120 on the P5W DH? Which direction is the 120 fan facing? Is it facing the back exhaust?

some pics in a antec p160w smaller midtower, fan direction is out the back.

Attachments

• IMG_7055 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7055 (Large).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7056 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7056 (Large).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7060 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7060 (Large).JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7063 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7063 (Large).JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 58
Thanks Rattle for the pics. Very nice. I'm in the process of getting all the parts and don't want return it because it doesn't fit.

Back