• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS Lite vs. PSP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
From gamestop:
http://www.gamespot.com/special_features/bestof2006/achievement/index.html?page=13

In September, the launch of the Onyx and Coral DS Lite models helped move more than 400,000 DSs, an increase of 141 percent. And in November, when many were worried the portable's sales might be cannibalized by the Wii craze, 918,000 DS systems flew off store shelves. According to NPD, as of the end of November, US gamers had bought 7.5 million DSs, compared to 5.7 million PSPs. Now, Nintendo expects to have sold 20 million DSs and 82 million worldwide in 2006--a feat many thought impossible when the "gimmicky" handheld came out in 2004.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just so there are no cries of favoritism, I now own both systems, and there's really no way to compare the two. Other than the fact that they're both portable and play games. It's kind of like comparing a microwave to a toaster in a way: They do completely different things.

I bought Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, before I even owned a DS. I was told it had become rare in Chicago, so when I found one I bought it. Then... lo and behold... the friggin' DS LITE became rare in Chicago. I could've sworn I saw them all over the place when I was looking to buy a pay as you go phone... but all of a sudden every DS Lite in town was GONE. So since I knew one place that had one I bought it.

PSPs are all over the place. You will have ABSOLUTELY no problem finding a PSP. I even found one with 2.00 firmware. That's pretty friggin' rare.

Nonetheless they have sold a TON of PSPs. After reading those DS Lite numbers I thought I would see like 10 million to 3 million. But it's only 7.5 million to 5.7 million... And Nintendo has a 20 year headstart in the console market, so congratulations to Sony.

But the PSP is basically a portable version of a regular console. With a big emphasis on its other capabilities like playing movies and MP3s and being able to do a million other things. But still it's kind of a PS2/Xbox. The DS Lite is a completely different thing. It's sort of a new concept on an entertainment device. Sure Metroid is kind of a copy of a console game... Phoenix Wright is DEFINATIVELY not. Neither is that brain game or Elite Beat Agents (probably my next purchase unless Phoenix Wright 2 comes out before I leave.)

I got a PSP because portable Tekken, online Darkstalkers, and portable Metal Gear Solid is just AWESOME. I got the DS Lite because I was spellbound.

rainless said:
From gamestop:
http://www.gamespot.com/special_features/bestof2006/achievement/index.html?page=13

In September, the launch of the Onyx and Coral DS Lite models helped move more than 400,000 DSs, an increase of 141 percent. And in November, when many were worried the portable's sales might be cannibalized by the Wii craze, 918,000 DS systems flew off store shelves. According to NPD, as of the end of November, US gamers had bought 7.5 million DSs, compared to 5.7 million PSPs. Now, Nintendo expects to have sold 20 million DSs and 82 million worldwide in 2006--a feat many thought impossible when the "gimmicky" handheld came out in 2004.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering, whats the news on the number of PSP's sold world wide? I dunno if there is any definite statistics, but do you, or anyone have a link to a general guess at the number of PSP's sold world wide?

And while nintendo did have a 20 year start in the handheld market, they also had a 20 year start on the console market as well. and look at what the PS1 and PS2 did to nintendo. They didn't kill nintendo, but they gave them one hell of a bloody beating! :p ( hey, i'll admit it, because its true ). a head start really means nothing, concidering sony took nintendo head on in the console race, and won the last 2 times, and nintendo had the advantage of time, and recognization by fans.

the PSP is a decent hand held. But, its not for me personally. i owned one, then sold it. at that time, there wasn't any games i really wanted on it, it was all movies, which i already owned on DVD. while more games have come out for it, there still isn't enough games to interest me yet. Though, i'll be using my dads PSP to play Final Fantasy: Crisis core!!!

though, i watched the spiderman movei that came with the initial shipment of PSP's, i was DEFINETLY suprised by how well the small LCD screen played moveis! there wasn't any ghosting at all ( at least on my PSP ). and the quality of the picture was amazingly good for the size.

there are many great things about the PSP. sadly, not to many of those reasons intrest me. the DS does all i need. Plays games, has a HUGE library of games, will play the GBA games, and has wireless for online play, a really good battery life, very durable, small enough to fit into my pocket ( i own the DS lite ), it flips open, so the screen is protected when not in use.

i may get a PSP again sometime. but there will have to be more than a small handfull of games i want to play. or i'll wait for the PSP-2 if one ever comes out, and pray it has backwards compatability :p

zexmarquies01 said:
Just wondering, whats the news on the number of PSP's sold world wide? I dunno if there is any definite statistics, but do you, or anyone have a link to a general guess at the number of PSP's sold world wide?

And while nintendo did have a 20 year start in the handheld market, they also had a 20 year start on the console market as well. and look at what the PS1 and PS2 did to nintendo. They didn't kill nintendo, but they gave them one hell of a bloody beating! :p ( hey, i'll admit it, because its true ). a head start really means nothing, concidering sony took nintendo head on in the console race, and won the last 2 times, and nintendo had the advantage of time, and recognization by fans.

the PSP is a decent hand held. But, its not for me personally. i owned one, then sold it. at that time, there wasn't any games i really wanted on it, it was all movies, which i already owned on DVD. while more games have come out for it, there still isn't enough games to interest me yet. Though, i'll be using my dads PSP to play Final Fantasy: Crisis core!!!

though, i watched the spiderman movei that came with the initial shipment of PSP's, i was DEFINETLY suprised by how well the small LCD screen played moveis! there wasn't any ghosting at all ( at least on my PSP ). and the quality of the picture was amazingly good for the size.

there are many great things about the PSP. sadly, not to many of those reasons intrest me. the DS does all i need. Plays games, has a HUGE library of games, will play the GBA games, and has wireless for online play, a really good battery life, very durable, small enough to fit into my pocket ( i own the DS lite ), it flips open, so the screen is protected when not in use.

i may get a PSP again sometime. but there will have to be more than a small handfull of games i want to play. or i'll wait for the PSP-2 if one ever comes out, and pray it has backwards compatability :p

Nintendo never had a twenty year lead in the console market. Immediately after the NES launch Sega had the master system. Then there was the Genesis and Super Nes. Then the N64, Playstation, Saturn. The first gameboy was virtually unchallenged until almost four years later when Sega BRIEFLY made the Game Gear around the same time as the Turbo express portable and then both failed. another five years and then the Neo geo pocket color and Wonderswan failed.

So there is something to be said for having a head start (jesus, look at the PS2), the odds are always with the incumbant. Right now nintendo has an IMPOSSIBLY huge lead in terms of library thanks to backwards compatibility with the Gameboy advance (I'm sure there are a ton of advance games I want but never got: Fire Pro Wrestling comes to mind...) I'm sure you can even get an adapter that will let you play original gameboy games eventually.

I think in a lot of ways it's a far more accomplished product than the Wii. There's already online products for it, developers have gone absolutely nuts over its possibilities, it's so simple to program that *I* could personally make games for it. (Friggin' Phoenix Wright is basically a text game.) The Wii will catch up eventually I'm sure, but they need to stop trying to be another console and focus on totally unique games like the DS Lite. The DS Lite didn't NEED to have yet another port of Marvel Ultimate Alliance. They got Elite Beat Agents instead.

Imagine if they had THAT for the Wii...

Mr.Guvernment said:
i dont think there is a "vs" DS just owns PSP period.

Certainly not in terms of graphics, processing power, or "total things you can do with the system." It probably doesn't even win in "total good games versus total sucky games." The DS Lite's best games are better than the PSP's... I'll give you that much. But when you add up Liberty City, Vice City, Tekken, Killzone Revolution, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Lumines I and II, Wipeout pure, and a list such as that which doesn't stop, and then you turn to the DS and see a bunch of Barbie and My Little Pony games alongside the few actual good games, it certainly doesn't win there.

You are right about there being no "versus" though. There's no way to compare the two systems because they are attempting two different things.

All a matter of opinion though. My brother has DS so I have played it a fair amount of times but I can just never find myself getting into its games for more then 20 minutes. The PSP however has not only IMO better games but supports movies, music, photos, and with some mods roms.

I've got a DS-lite and I only play it when I'm going on a long trip and not driving, so it is rare. They've got some good games though. Mari Kart and New Super Mario Bros were both fun

Rozal said:
I second that^

I third that.

I prefer the depth of PSP games. Not too complex, but deep enough like a PS2/Xbox game. DS games have been far to simple and far too easy to keep my attention long.

i htink your all forgetting about the portable genisis. (i forget the real name) but it was sweet. it was SLIGHTLY larger than a gamegear, and it played EVERY genesis game. my friend had one and it was sweet! and also i personally LOVED the neo geo pocket, but by the time i had the money to buy a second game, they recalled them. so mine is basically a sonic playing machine. haha.

and btw: noob. have you every played advance wars ds???? that game is CRAZY deep.

Having just bought PSP after deciding between the two I can't say that DS is better. I was looking at both and which games they have and my search ended right there. There are simply no games for DS. There are few good titles like FF3 but it looks like SNES title and after seeing what new FF will look like on PSP there is simply no comparison.

Plus the other abilities that PSP has like listening to music, watching movies and lots of other things that I can't discuss here. I'm a big Mario fan and I wanted to buy DS Lite cause of it but realized that was the only game that I liked for DS.

Walk down the aisle of a Target or Walmart. Some place with all the DS Lite games in one display case. You'll see Arthur games, Barbie games... all sorts of little LITTLE kid games. Then walk down the PSP aisle: It's basically Adam West Batman vs. Dark Knight Returns Batman.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Nintendo some of their games like the new Mario on DS are lot's of fun.

The problem is that they only seem to release one great game per console :confused:

Just like with N64 and GameCube. They release Mario64 then I waitend and waited and waited... for the follow up and it never happened. Then on GameCube Sunshine came out and same thing happened, no follow up :shrug:

I don't know why they do this?

RedDragonXXX said:
Even though I'm not a big fan of Nintendo some of their games like the new Mario on DS are lot's of fun.

The problem is that they only seem to release one great game per console :confused:

Just like with N64 and GameCube. They release Mario64 then I waitend and waited and waited... for the follow up and it never happened. Then on GameCube Sunshine came out and same thing happened, no follow up :shrug:

I don't know why they do this?

That's Nintendo's GAME PLAN! :)

The big plan is to make their big hit... then STOP.

Fortunately OTHER people are making games for the DS Lite. I haven't seen a nintendo hit on the DS Lite since New Super Mario. Metroid and Mario Kart were basically out with the system. And New Super Mario was out in time for the DS Lite. Now, according to the official Nintendo game plan, it's time to slip into "Idle Mode."

What ever happened to DS Zelda? Or a DS smash brothers? Or something from Nintendo that doesn't have a dog in it? Maybe the heavens will open and Nintendo will make a WHOLE NEW GAME that doesn't even need Link, Mario, or Star Fox.

...but that would go against the Plan.

Edit: Mario 64 was an amazing launch game. I almost wish that they had held off on it just so that people could have longed for it more and played it later. There was also Zelda for the N64. I don't remember an N64 metroid, though there may have been one. Perfect Dark was an N64 title, too. And not having a Gamecube equivalent to Mario 64 was a tradgedy (and no, sunshine doesn't count). I'd like to see Nintendo reinvent themselves in the software market. Sony was able to change their fortunes with games like Shadow of the Collossus and God of War. God of war particularly pushed the envelope in terms of what the PS2 could actually do. It also showed the developer's creativity. Nintendo doesn't NEED to forever remake mario and zelda. At this point they can do better than that. Capcom proved they could do better than Street Fighter and Resident Evil with Phoenix Wright. And I don't know who the hell came up with Elite Beat Agents, but that was truly thinking outside the box.

I remember the whole galaxy of games for the original NES. Each one was unique. Kid Icarus, Metroid, Duck Hunt, Pro Wrestling, Nintendo's Baseball, Mike Tyson's Punchout. Does ANYBODY ELSE remember all that? How Nintendo invented and reinvented a million different genres? That's the Nintendo I want to see again. I want to see all new recognizable mascots in all new kinds of games. The problem is that Nintendo relies HEAVILY on its die-hard fans who feel the company can do no wrong. This is why they release zelda and mario kart again and again and again... Not saying these aren't great games... but if they had to, they could and would do even better.

Last edited:
Try World Championship Poker for the DS. It's the most fun if you can play it wirelessly with others, but single player isn't bad either. I just started playing Children of Mana a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. I haven't tried the multiplayer mode but the single player mode is loads of fun by itself. Secret of Mana was one of my favorite games on the SNES so that's probably why I like this game so much. A multiplayer GoldenEye or Perfect Dark on the DS would be SWEEEET! I'd buy it for sure, and I'm sure the DS hardware could handle it.

The fact that you can do wireless download play, meaning that only the game host needs the game card, is IMO the best feature of the DS. I do wish more developers would take advantage of that feature though, it seems like Nintendo themselves are the only ones making single-card download play titles.

My main motivation for buying a DS was to play multiplayer games since most of my friends have either a DS or DS Lite. I don't know whether the PSP has the wireless download multiplayer feature or not but I know that most of my gaming friends were turned off by the initial price tag of the PSP (as was I) so we all purchased Nintendos instead.

Last edited:
benbaked said:
Try World Championship Poker for the DS. It's the most fun if you can play it wirelessly with others, but single player isn't bad either. I just started playing Children of Mana a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. I haven't tried the multiplayer mode but the single player mode is loads of fun by itself. Secret of Mana was one of my favorite games on the SNES so that's probably why I like this game so much. A multiplayer GoldenEye or Perfect Dark on the DS would be SWEEEET! I'd buy it for sure, and I'm sure the DS hardware could handle it.

The fact that you can do wireless download play, meaning that only the game host needs the game card, is IMO the best feature of the DS. I do wish more developers would take advantage of that feature though, it seems like Nintendo themselves are the only ones making single-card download play titles.

My main motivation for buying a DS was to play multiplayer games since most of my friends have either a DS or DS Lite. I don't know whether the PSP has the wireless download multiplayer feature or not but I know that most of my gaming friends were turned off by the initial price tag of the PSP (as was I) so we all purchased Nintendos instead.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of checking out Children of Mana as I never had a chance to play secret of mana :beer:

The PSP does indeed have a share option and a one UMD option. My friend in Chicago has a DS and my friend in Tokyo has a PSP. Now I have both. Too bad I don't have any gaming friends in Paris...

NOThelagak said:
i htink your all forgetting about the portable genisis. (i forget the real name) but it was sweet. it was SLIGHTLY larger than a gamegear, and it played EVERY genesis game. my friend had one and it was sweet! and also i personally LOVED the neo geo pocket, but by the time i had the money to buy a second game, they recalled them. so mine is basically a sonic playing machine. haha.

and btw: noob. have you every played advance wars ds???? that game is CRAZY deep.

I have not. I'm working my way slooooooooowly through FF3, another very deep game, and after that I'll have to buy Adanced Wars DS.

Thanks for the tip.

Too many great games this season. I'm probably in the middle of 10 games off and on right now and have yet to touch Okami, RS:V, CoD 3, Dark Messiah M&M and god forbid if the WoW expansion sucks me in... is that out yet?

OC Noob said:
I have not. I'm working my way slooooooooowly through FF3, another very deep game, and after that I'll have to buy Adanced Wars DS.

Thanks for the tip.

Too many great games this season. I'm probably in the middle of 10 games off and on right now and have yet to touch Okami, RS:V, CoD 3, Dark Messiah M&M and god forbid if the WoW expansion sucks me in... is that out yet?

I thought I saw it at EB, but that could've been the preorder box or something.

I only started Phoenix Wright, Metroid Prime, and Baldur's Gate II. The first two are no problem. The last one...

Back