• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before i open this new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawne32

Before i open the box on this thing, i want to make sure this new PSU is going to cut it, i have the AGP version of the 7600 GS with the 512mb of ram. I have a 420 watt enlight psu in here right now and the +12v rail runs at 18A, i was told that wasnt enough so i swapped it with my brothers 500watt PSU, i still got the same crashes even with that and it has dual +12v rails, but his PSU is a crappy dollarstore PSU and i assumed that those ratings werent all that accurate. I purchased a XClio 450BL ATX 450W Power Supply off of new egg the other day to upgrade mine, the ratings it shows are +3.3V@32A, +5V@30A, +12V1@15A, +12V2@17A, [email protected], +5VSB@2A.... i want to be sure that this will be enough output to power this new card if the PSU reallly is the source of the problem, now i dont know how dual 12 volt rails work as far as the ratings, i was told that your supposed to combined the new #'s to get the total amount of output so +12v1 puts out 15a and +12v2 puts out 17a if you combine the two you get a total of 32a output, am i right on assuming this and will that be enough if the minimum recommended amp rating is 20a on the +12v for this card to perform? Or should i send this back when it comes in the mail for an even larger 500watt version? Im confident it will work because alot of the reviews i read on new egg have people using them with 7600 style cards....*crosses fingers*

Ive never heard of XClio brand in the first place. But if its a quality PSU, then those ratings will do what you need it to do.

That PSU is definitely enough, it is built by CWT who also made a bunch of PSUs for Antec. The only potential downside of this PSU depends on the type of capacitors inside, a lot of CWT built Antec PSUs died prematurely because they used Fuhjiyyu caps with poor heat tolerance, and I am not sure which capacitors Xclio used.

Back