• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

free mario and toe-jam for wii owners??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOThelagak

i read a rumor that nintendo is offering some free vc games for wii owners for christmas. they said we are getting super mario bros, toe-jam and earl, and r-type.

linky

Keep in mind that this is a rumor. While it would be nice to get 3 free games for Christmas ('specially since I've heard so many great things about Toejam and Earl, but have never played it 'cause I never had a Genesis), Nintendo likes money just as much as the next company.

Once again, this is a RUMOR. We can hope, however :)

like i said, its a rumor, but after readin some more sites, i saw it listed a number of times. soo... all we can do is turn on our wiis on christmas morning, and hope and pray :)

yeah, it is only a rumor, but would be really sweet!

And not like nintendo would LOSE money. its games that have been made YEARS ago, with almost no extra development costs, except for bandwidth on their servers.

So it IS feasable. And it would help promote wii growth, and promote the prospect of more people buying VC games. Its kinda like when you get free samples of stuff in the mail, or free samples at the grocery store. They do that, to entice you to buy their product. Its a well known, and quite a proven tactic of getting people to buy your prodcut.

And using christmas to do this, is a perfect way to mask the true intent of nintendo. Most people would just see it as generosity of nintendo, and it would allow nintendo to try to mask the difference between a buisness, and a "friend". Something which MANY company's try to do, as it makes for better buisness.

The more fanboys a company can secure, the more profits they can gain.

Honestly, i can see this happening. While nintendo wants money NOW, they may have realized the potential for even more of a profit in the future by doing actions such as this. Obviously nintendo has a completly different idea of how to conduct its buisness practices than Microsoft or sony. The Wii is direct proof of that.

while people love sony products, and love the Xbox/Xbox360, they KNOW that those companys are a buisness, and have been shady in their practices in the past. Many do not trust microsoft, even though they love the Xbox. And MANY people now HATE sony for what they have done in the recent past. They may love the PS1/PS2/PS3, but most do not love sony themselfs ( at least in america ).

Nintendo on the other hand, is completly opposite of this. people love nintendo as a company, They love what nintendo has done for gaming. while nintendo has made mistakes in the past, they have not done things that pcople would compair to the stuff sony and microsoft has done.

Nintendo could use this as a really good advantage for themselfs over MS and Sony. Gain the consumer's trust, and they will keep comming back time after time.

Honestly, if they go through with this, they will do nothing but strengthen the bond between them and the consumer. Seems like a pretty smart tactic to me. They don't have the graphics to fight MS or Sony. They don't have the money to fight MS. ( i am unsure about sony's finances ). They don't have the 3rd party developers supporting them yet. But the DO have consumer trust. That is VERY well known. Nintendo fanboys are the strongest of all console fanboys. By using this advantage they have over sony and MS, it will do nothing but help them secure their place in the console war.

Sorry for the long post, but just felt like i'd share my personal views on this. :p

yay for possibly free games could do with out toe jam and earl but Super Mario is a MUST and R-Type is pretty cool

Oh god, can you imagine if they brought the idea of Wiimote control to other older games?

Uh, hello. Zelda Ocarina of Time. Game over, I'd buy a Wii instantly just to replay it. They did port it to GC remember? Stop with the bad nintendo shooters, bring me back to a GOOD GoldenEye 007 esque game, or Perfect Dark for Wii. Please.

Sorry, end of my rant, but I think this idea is pretty sweet. I'd probably consider buying a Wii for some old-school fun.

zexmarquies01 said:
yeah, it is only a rumor, but would be really sweet!

And not like nintendo would LOSE money. its games that have been made YEARS ago, with almost no extra development costs, except for bandwidth....................

wow.

That was said perfectly.

Amazing.

Now that I think about it in my house this is what we have/had for consoles/ handheld game devices.

1x Nintendo
2x Nintendo 64
1x Gamecube
1x Wii on order
2x Original Gameboys
2x Gameboy Advances
1x Gameboy Advance SP
2x Nintendo DS

Maybe more. No sony or microsoft stuff ever. Always has been and for as long as I can tell will be Nintendo. I guess I sorta passed it down to my little brother, who passed it down to the next in line and so on and so forth. All fanboys....

acually i have been waiting for super mario bros to make my first vc purchase. if its free, im gonna be pumped.

NOThelagak said:
acually i have been waiting for super mario bros to make my first vc purchase. if its free, im gonna be pumped.
Same here, lol. I was going to buy it today, but after reading about this I'm going to hold out until after xmas, just incase.

:)

*edit*

Damn you, Oni :( Guess I'll be buying it soon, then :D

From what I understand the only reason that they are showing up as 'free' is for beta testers and that all games show up as free before they are released on VC.

a couple things:

a: crana, the mario bros that is on vc right now, is NOT super mario bros. it is the original that showed up as a mini game in super mario bros. where there are pipes on either side of the screen and monsters run across and you have to hit the beam to flip them so you can go kill them to get the points. = dont buy it. it is a mini game in super mario which you will buy soon anyways.

b: oni, the link you gave is the head of nintendo EUROPE and everything i read said that the free give aways is for america only. so why would he have anything to say about it?

either way, i know its just a rumor, and PROBABLY not true, but one can hope, cant one? im still gonna boot up the wii on christmas day and see what happens.

NOThelagak said:
b: oni, the link you gave is the head of nintendo EUROPE and everything i read said that the free give aways is for america only. so why would he have anything to say about it?

Even if he is in Europe, he is still connected to Nintendo Co. Ltd. I'll believe him over the Internets.

NOThelagak said:
a couple things:

a: crana, the mario bros that is on vc right now, is NOT super mario bros. it is the original that showed up as a mini game in super mario bros. where there are pipes on either side of the screen and monsters run across and you have to hit the beam to flip them so you can go kill them to get the points. = dont buy it. it is a mini game in super mario which you will buy soon anyways.

Oh :( Guess i'll wait, then.

I'm getting some points for xmas (5000, hopefully) and a classic controller, so i don't wanna waste 'em. :)

Crana said:
Oh :( Guess i'll wait, then.

I'm getting some points for xmas (5000, hopefully) and a classic controller, so i don't wanna waste 'em. :)

crap, i just noticed that you are in england. i dont know what vc games you guys have. japan already has a butt load, including supermario bros 1, 2, 3, and would. so maybe you can dl super mario bros.

just make sure it says "super mario bros", not "mario bros"

It's Mario Bros. :(

I got my classic controller and wii points today, btw :D Can't use the controller 'till xmas, but i've already bought Mario 64 and Sonic! :)

awsome, let me know what you think of the controller. ive been thinking bout gettin one, but i already have 4 wavebirds. so it seems kinda pointless for me.. :-(

NOThelagak said:
a couple things:

its a regular game and it shows up in SMB3.

its a NES/Playchoice10/Atari 5200 ect ect ect game....

yah, your right, it is in smb3, not smb. sorry bout that. but i think my point is still valid. mb that is on vc is NOT smb. i think they should show screen shots or somethin of the game. i was once caught confusing mb, with smb. and here is another example. crana was gonna buy mb cause he thought it was smb. how mad would he have been had he spent his new points and not got the game he thought he was getting?

Back