Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

"CPU Fan has Failed"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 04:18 PM Thread Starter   #1
Red_Hot_Poker

"CPU Fan has Failed"

Hey all I have a problem...

I was cleaning out my computer today and was making sure everything was secure inside when i accidently hit the cpu fan blade and broke one.

So i went out and bought one of these...

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...&other_title=0

Well, I took out the old Heatsink and installed this one to the mobo and then attatched the 3pin wire to where the old one was connected. Now when i start up the PC it detects the HDD and DVD Drive and such but then it goes to a black screen that just says "CPU Fan has failed. PC will Shutdown to prevent harm to your computer."

I don't understand why its like this, I figured if I just plugged it in to the same 3 pin connector it would start right up. I also tried to connect it to another 3 pin connector on the mobo and same prob. Im typing this on a friends PC atm becuase i cannot even start up min to get on web lol...any help would be appriciated.
Red_Hot_Poker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 04:20 PM   #2
Maviryk

Does your new fan have an RPM sensor wire on it or just a red and black wire?

Edit: Bah, silly me, you can always disable the cpu fan detect feature in the bios.

Old 12-21-06, 04:21 PM   #3
Tyrinon

Try resetting the mobo BIOS. I get wonky things like that once in a while and resetting the BOIS usually fixes the issues. Hope it works for you.

S_Wilson: Reagan taught us the phrase "Trust but verify". The internet has taught us to remove "trust" from that phrase.
Tyrinon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 04:25 PM Thread Starter   #4
Red_Hot_Poker

I cannot get into the bios, when it starts detecting things I hit F-1 and it does not go into the bios and just pops up with same screen.

It has a red/black wire and a red/blue wire( wich is the sensor ).
Old 12-21-06, 04:26 PM   #5
darkcow

yea, as long as the fan is defiantly spinning, just go into your bios and disable the feature.

2x 1 GB - 2x 2 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 [ 990Mhz ]
Win 7 Build 7600 - Arch Linux

Apogee GTZ - MCW60-R - 2xMCR320 - MCP655 - MasterKleer 7/16
7x yate loons - 2x Arctic fan 8

All in my wooden case
darkcow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 04:29 PM Thread Starter   #6
Red_Hot_Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcow
yea, as long as the fan is defiantly spinning, just go into your bios and disable the feature.
But thats the problem lol i can't even get into the bios, I hit f1 and it says "Entering Setup" but it goes to black screen and says the "Cpu fan has failed" before i can even get into it...
Old 12-21-06, 04:34 PM   #7
darkcow

well, in that case get your old fan, even if its broken, just plug it into the mobo, but leave your new heatsink on. and then change the settings.

the heatsink should work well without a fan running for a few mins, but don't stress test with the fan off lol.

2x 1 GB - 2x 2 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 [ 990Mhz ]
Win 7 Build 7600 - Arch Linux

Apogee GTZ - MCW60-R - 2xMCR320 - MCP655 - MasterKleer 7/16
7x yate loons - 2x Arctic fan 8

All in my wooden case
darkcow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 04:40 PM   #8
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Hot_Poker
But thats the problem lol i can't even get into the bios, I hit f1 and it says "Entering Setup" but it goes to black screen and says the "Cpu fan has failed" before i can even get into it...
Hit F1 again to continue traditionally is all you have to do to get past that.

Old 12-21-06, 04:41 PM   #9
eaglescouter
Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!

10 Year Badge

Speed sensor fans use 3 wires.

Your new fan has 2 wires, thus the bios thinks the fan has failed.

Use a 3 wire fan to boot into the bios and change the bios to ignore the fan state.

Then put on your new good fan and go have fun.

#4 in the 20 Million SETI Club
Top 4 Producer for BOINC Seti Many GHz of Seti Crunching Power!
Number 18 Seti Classic Cruncher

Member of the Phase Cooled 6Ghz Club
[SG] Halo Custom Edition Clan Leader
eaglescouter is offline SETI Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 04:47 PM Thread Starter   #10
Red_Hot_Poker

I went into the bios and could not find anything about the fan.

Weird thing is i had the new heatsink fan pluigged into one of the 3 pin connectors and the old fan plugged into another 3 pin connector and the PC started up fine. BUt after a few seconds the new HS fan shutdown but pc did not...

But i went into bios and could not find anything to do with the fan, or fan sensor or anything of that name.

and my mistake it has a red/blue/black wire and a red/black wire( sensor i assume) i didnt see that other black wire before -.-
Old 12-21-06, 05:03 PM Thread Starter   #11
Red_Hot_Poker

I have a sempron AMD 3200 Processor and a MSI 7184 Mobo. But coul dhaving a 250W PSU be the problem...?
Old 12-21-06, 05:06 PM   #12
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

The setting is under the PC Health section of the BIOS.
If all else fails you'll just have to use a different 3-pin fan.

Old 12-21-06, 05:23 PM Thread Starter   #13
Red_Hot_Poker

Ya my bios doesnt have anything that says that its Pheonix Bios and it just has options for Boot Priority, hardware monitor ( wich does bring me to fan speed and temps, but they are all greyed out and i cannot change anything it has no options.) Sorry to be a pain it just sucks that this fan does not work with my Mobo. I hooked up a regular 90mm fan to the 3 pin connector and it boots up, and also the old broken fan lets it boot up as well. If i cut the sensor wires and just have the 3 main red/blue/black wires would that maybe work? Or is there a program i can get to that would let me change the fan settings, becuase i can just hook up my old fan for a min and try to do it that way...

I just can't find anything or even anything close to an option that would let me disable the fan sensor. I also tried to reset default settings and that also had no fix.
Old 12-22-06, 08:20 AM   #14
freakdiablo

you can always do what I did when I had watercooling. just get a 60mm case fan or something, plug it into cpu slot, and i dont know, use it as ram cooling or something. In your case just get a 4pin to 3pin connector and just plug your cpu fan into that. ofcourse, then you have your cpu fan running at 100% constantly, but who doesnt want a cool cpu?

Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI
freakdiablo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-28-06, 01:11 AM Thread Starter   #15
Red_Hot_Poker

Ya I don't know why but my mobo I had was going I think, I went to go flash and forgot to make a backup boot and turned it into trash lol...

So I just ordered a http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813123264

Nothing fancy but it does the job. Still need to upgrade my 250w psu before I do anything lol...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool