• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error 17 when booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

Okay, I have XP installed, and I i nstalled gentoo linux from a live cd onto a spare 10 GB HD.. Install went great, rebooted though and BAM.. error 17... How do I fix it?.. Im not used to linux too much, so I need detailed assistance.. like how to get to what I need to fix..

Edit- I just looked up the error and found this
5. Grub Error 17

Situation

Code Listing 5.1: Grub Output

root (hd0,0)
filesystem type unknown partition type 0x7

Error 17 : Cannot mount selected partition

Solution

This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

Be sure to check your root(x,y) settings in your grub.conf.

Also, if you are trying to boot Windows, make sure that your grub.conf file has the root (hdX,Y) (or rootnoverify (hdX,Y)) and chainloader (hdX,Y)+1 in it.

Okkay.. I need a translation of that into english now.

Last edited:
Anyone know how I can just boot into windows and extract the nasty grub?.. (never using linux again.. or not until they make a good boot system..)

sometimes in grub has to be mentioned if your hard disk is sata or serial. I see in Your sig. that You've sata (is there windows on it?) , and that's why You get this error ;) i will try to find the sollution, cause i don't remember for now

It isnt on the SATA drive.. Its on my 40 GB ATA drive.. and linux is on a 10 GB ATA HD. Arg.. I just want to undo it.. Anyway to just restore windows boot files? Since I am way too lazy to try to figure out all this coded linux stuff.

here it is an example how to add windows which is on sata:

Titel Windows-SATA
root (hd2,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
map (hd0) (hd2)
map (hd2) (hd0)

and here is for ata:
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

in both ways You have to set the right partition if You want to work it... i don't know is there a way to restore win boot files, never done that, always where looking for sollutions to make grub working :)

P.S. post your menu.lst from grub, it would be easier to help, and also the partition table

Last edited:
SeasonalEclipse said:
Anyone know how I can just boot into windows and extract the nasty grub?.. (never using linux again.. or not until they make a good boot system..)

Use your XP disk to get to the repair console and then run fixboot or maybe fixmbr, I can't remember which and that will restore your XP bootloader.

Don't give up on Linux yet, try some other distro's. Most of us went through several distro's before finding the one we liked, although some never quit looking. :) Personally, and I know I am in the minority here, I prefer Mandriva Linux. The install is very flexible so it can be very easy or as difficult as you like. The hardware detection is great and once you are up and running it is like most others in that it is very customizable and again you can make it as easy or technical as you like. there is also a very large community for support.

Good luck!

Okkay, I tried the fix boot thing.. didnt work.. it said it made a new boot sector on my windows drive, but grub still loads up when I reboot.
EDIT! FIX MBR DID THE TRICK! WOOT! THANK YOU GUYS! Now I know how to undo this mess if I ever have it happen again.. Okkkay.. so.. tomorrow I will try mandriva out and see how it goes.. the gentoo live cd looked nice, but apparently the boot system isnt nice at all.

S_Wilson said:
Use your XP disk to get to the repair console and then run fixboot or maybe fixmbr, I can't remember which and that will restore your XP bootloader.

Don't give up on Linux yet, try some other distro's. Most of us went through several distro's before finding the one we liked, although some never quit looking. :) Personally, and I know I am in the minority here, I prefer Mandriva Linux. The install is very flexible so it can be very easy or as difficult as you like. The hardware detection is great and once you are up and running it is like most others in that it is very customizable and again you can make it as easy or technical as you like. there is also a very large community for support.

Good luck!

S_Wilson says true... just don't let Your arms go down. Ofcourse it's not win OS, that's why it is more difficult, more usefull, more exciting, more interesting. :santa2:

Hm, I primarly want linux to try out myth tv.. What would be the best linux thing for myth tv?.. I tried ubuntu and it just freezes up on load up from CD, Gentoo looks good, but is difficult to install.. and yeah..s o many others out there..

SeasonalEclipse said:
Okkay, I tried the fix boot thing.. didnt work.. it said it made a new boot sector on my windows drive, but grub still loads up when I reboot.
EDIT! FIX MBR DID THE TRICK! WOOT! THANK YOU GUYS! Now I know how to undo this mess if I ever have it happen again.. Okkkay.. so.. tomorrow I will try mandriva out and see how it goes.. the gentoo live cd looked nice, but apparently the boot system isnt nice at all.

I knew it was one of those and of course I usually do the wrong one first, lol.

Mandriva One is a live CD with installer. It comes in either 32 or 64 bit and either KDE or Gnome desktop and free or with proprietary drivers. MDK One is a good starting point but they do have other versions that come with more software.

I strongly suggest going 32bit until 64 bit is more developed and that is for any distro right now. Also KDE is better supported on Mandriva than Gnome and personally I much prefer it. Lilo is the bootloader by default instead of grub except for special situations like raid.

Hm.. how do you format CDRWs with the Gentoo, and Ubuntu on them? lol Mine keep getting media errors when I try to format..

sorry to say, but the changing distro isn't going to fix your boot loader problems. I believe the problem you were having with grub is that you didn't configure it correctly. I believe the issues arise when you have both sata and ide drives. Personally, I like GRUB a lot better than LILO, and all linux distro's are going to give you the option of using one or the other. You *can* modify the windows boot loader to let you add linux to the boot menu, but I've never done that so I don't know the exact steps.

here is something I found that might help you out:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=46003&highlight=dual+boot+sata

Hm.. but my SATA drive comes up as a ATA drive. My bios sets it up like that.
And as I posted before, my windows is on my 40 GB ATA HD. My SATA drive is storage only.

so you have a 40gb ide drive with windows, 10gb ide with linux, and a SATA drive for storage?

still, having both ide and sata drives connected to the system can confuse grub (and probably lilo).

I have 2 40 GB HDs, one for storage, one for windows, 1 10 GB HD which is for linux testing, and one 300 GB HD which is SATA and used for storage... hm.. so what would happen if I say... unhook the SATA drive.. install linux.. then rehook it.. would it come up correctly then?

Unlikely. Cause te missing/added SATA drive could jumble your disk numbers used by BIOS and the bootloader to access the drive. If that changes between install and actual usage later, it's a recipe for disaster.

Next time you install grub, paste your menu.lst and tell us the exact setup of your disk drives (which one is 0x80, 0x81 and so on)

Back