• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What games can I play on a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

A friend asked me what games he can play on his laptop, its a fairly new one but it only has OB video.
He was looking for something like C&C Red Alert and other strategy games.
Recommend away!

yeah those Blizzards games arew pretrty light on the computer direct draw. the Sims 2 should wortk pretty fine. If the grtaphics chipset on the laptop dosent have pixel shaderts the cpu must be atleast 2ghz.

Therte are a few chess games that arte 3d that wortk on laptops.

Ah, all laptops pretty much use Onboard Video... there are a few usb 3d video cards but there all crap from what I've seen. So the fact that its onboard video doesn't mean anything. Alienware laptops have SLI 7900's.

Find out what video chipset it is, and what memory.

Daleon said:
Ah, all laptops pretty much use Onboard Video... there are a few usb 3d video cards but there all crap from what I've seen. So the fact that its onboard video doesn't mean anything. Alienware laptops have SLI 7900's.

Find out what video chipset it is, and what memory.
It really doesn't matter, hes not going to be upgrading it (if his laptop has a slot at all).
Keep the names coming.

on my current laptop i can play counterstrike at 1024x768 with ob video. Source is a completely different story. I see the background as it is booting up but as soon as the menu comes up the screen goes blank...

IAmMoen said:
on my current laptop i can play counterstrike at 1024x768 with ob video. Source is a completely different story. I see the background as it is booting up but as soon as the menu comes up the screen goes blank...

you need sm2.0 atleast which you card probably dosent have,

My laptop has a P4, 3.0GHz, 768MB RAM, but my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9700 64mb...I get ~30fps on low populated CS maps, 10-15fps on more denser maps. I think it has to be the ram on my graphics card because reducing resolution and quality does nothing to my fps performance. This just reminds me of playing CS back when I had a ATI 8500 on my old desktop :( .

Maybe stick to yahoo games, Line Rider, and 2D arcade-type games

I have a unique suggestion. Have you ever heard of Eden Studios Rails games? They created a computer version of Iron Dragon for the PC that plays very well on a lappy. These games began as board games, but it is a resource/trade/planning game. Takes about 1-2 hours to play one session. You can play against other humans (in person or online) or against up to 5 computer generated opponents.

Eden Studios Games:
http://www.edenstudios.net/games.html

Iron Dragon home page:
http://www.irondragon.org/

Flip-Mode said:
He doesn't like FPS, hes more of an Strategy guy.

well if he's never delved into blizzard's wonderful world he should just do that, will keep him occupied for a couple decades with all the war/star craft, diablo etc.

Back