• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using s-video to component, progressive scan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulrider4ever

I've got 2 tv's... 1 has a dvi port, the other only has component hookups, but is able to play progressive scan 480p from my dvd player. I hooked it up to my pc, but now am only getting 480i .

I am using a svideo to component conversion wire that came with my gpu for this tv.

How can I switch the output from the svideo port on my graphics card to progressive scan, or is this not possible?

Svideo signals cannot do progressive, only interlaced.

You might try using a DVI to component adaptor. I believe there is a setting in the Nvidia properties to use the second display as a TV and to output RGB signals.

Maviryk said:
Svideo signals cannot do progressive, only interlaced.

You might try using a DVI to component adaptor. I believe there is a setting in the Nvidia properties to use the second display as a TV and to output RGB signals.

I think the port he is talking about isn't actually an SVID port, but a port that does SVID, component, composite. Many vid cards have them

EDIT: but either way, if it's upconverting it, it's going to be interlaced, right?

After loading my nVidia control panel, I noticed a tv control setting that wasn't available when I had used my dvi cable on the other tv.

This setting had a TV setup wizard of some kind, and asked what cable I was using. I chose component, and then it asked which output definition I would like, and it had 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p as choices. I chose the 720p option as my TV can't handle 1080p. The difference in quality of just windows was amazing. After popping in Lord of the Rings DVD, I could instantly see the quality difference between my DVD player at 480p and the gpu at 720p. All I have to say is WOW, what a difference, I'll never use a DVD player again!

Back