• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ghosts in my machine: Freezing after exiting games, keeps dumping sound card driver..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoudazo

Ghosts in my machine: Freezing after exiting games, keeps dumping sound card driver..

So any ideas?

After exiting games (like HL2, BF2, etc.) the computer freezes in that I can't click on anything, but the mouse still moves around.

Also, sometimes the computer seems jerky, like you'll click on something and it waits like a second or two to do it sometimes.

This is sorta sounding like either a power supply issue or perhaps I have too much stuff plugged into that socket?

What do you think?
:bang head

Also, sometimes it'll basically not load the sound card driver, and it'll say "Found New Hardware" and if you cancel it'll give you the usual, "There was a problem while installing the new hardware, it might not work correctly." Then I'll reboot and the driver will load.

It has done this before and AFTER a clean OS install (as I do a clean install every 2 months or more).

PhysX said:
Hmm sounds likes its time for a format / fresh OS install :)

I don't mind that, as it doesn't take too long, but are you joking or being serious? Could perhaps a scratched Windows install disk do this? It's pretty scratched up. :eek:

Have you tested for stability?
Does it happen with intense games(bf2) or any full screen application?

I have the same problem myself and the only common hardware we have is the xfi sound card. I'm pretty sure it's the xfi drivers that makes trouble. The machine is not frozen, it's just the windows gui. A "clean" shutdown of the system is still possible(power button).

Number 2 sounds like a driver issue.
Sounds like when the chipset drivers aren't installed or installed properly.

Number 1 sounds like a driver issue or a memory leak.

RJARRRPCGP said:
Number 2 sounds like a driver issue.
Sounds like when the chipset drivers aren't installed or installed properly.

Number 1 sounds like a driver issue or a memory leak.

How would I fix such a thing?

Could an OC cause this? I have been stable at 3ghz for a while. :confused:

Also, I should use DC Pro, remove the chipset drivers, and reinstall you think? :)

Oh and yes I can still do a clean software shutdown when it freezes, I just hit the button on my PC and it goes through the regular shutdown.

DaWiper said:
I have the same problem myself and the only common hardware we have is the xfi sound card. I'm pretty sure it's the xfi drivers that makes trouble. The machine is not frozen, it's just the windows gui. A "clean" shutdown of the system is still possible(power button).

You have the same problem as freezing or the driver not initiating sometimes? :)

I have the same problem with freezing when ending some games. HL2 and gta:sa comes to mind.

Well, I'm going to install Vista on an extra partition and after installing all the drivers, etc. I'll try some games in it and see how it does. :)

Back