• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Midi connectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nachosyumm

My sister recently bought a keyboard that has midi connectors. She was hoping to hook it up to her computer. She has a laptop, so i know the choices are very limited.

What is the best way she can hook up the keyboard to her computer. All the usb to midi devices i have seen so far have been poorly rated, and i have not found any that use the card slot on her computer(hopefully you guys know what i am talking about).

Mainly she just wants to be able to record stuff. Is her only option to just use an adapter to go from the headphone output on the keyboard to the microphone input on her computer?

Thanks for the help. Preferably the solution is around $50. She is not a professional by any means, so its not really worth it if the adapter costs more than that.

Are you wanting to record the AUDIO from the Keyboard, or the MIDI DATA? MIDI is only control signals, and caries NO AUDIO. MIDI would be used if you want to record the keystokes (the "Performance" seperate from the sounds) as "MIDI NOTES", and then you can go back and chane sounds/patches in the PC (using MIDI VSTi Soft Synths) using that same pre-recorded "performance" MIDI Data.

What recording application will she be using, and will she be using Soft Synths (VSTi's) in conjunction with the MIDI Keyboard?

:cool:

ohhh, thanks for explaining that to me.

She would like to be able to record the notes and stuff.

I was thinking she would be able to use audacity. I dont really know anything about this whole thing. I'll look into those two programs. I figured the hardware side was going to be much harder than the software side, so i really havent looked into any software yet.

So far all i have found are gameport adapters, usb adapters with poor reviews, and more stuff that will not work with a laptop.

M-Audio Midisport 1x1 MIDI Interface

Edirol UM-1EX

both of these run about $40 and have received ok reviews, but are still plagued with many people having problems. Does anyone here have any expeirence with them. She has a yamaha keyboard.

Back