• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Image Hosting, who is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_Wilson

Hard Working Member
I need to learn about and start using third party image hosting. I know of Imageshack and photobucket but don't know much about them. Who is the best and why? Are there alternatives? Thanks for your opinions. :)

I use imageshack as they don't seem to kill your image links after a few short weeks/months. I still have images in my folder that I've loaded well over a year ago.

PWatterson said:
I second Imageshack. Real easy to use and they keep the pics forever. Also, you do not have to register.
But if you do register, you get to keep your images in a easy to find folder so you can add, delete or update them as needed. The uploading process is much faster too. If you lose the original unregistered link, it's harder to find the image on the site.

Thanks for the responses!

So, if I register with Image Shack then whatever I upload will always be there? Can I delete or replace images that I have uploaded?

Never mind, went to imageshack.us and found they have a very thorough and complete FAQ which answered all my questions. Thanks again for the help. :)

I don't recommend Imageshack anymore.

Imageshack suddenly started giving pop-ups. Also Imageshack does have a controversial TOS.

http://xs.to/ seems to be the best.
Just remember to make sure that the filename don't have any spaces, because it won't automatically fill the spaces.

pop ups for imageshack? Where? I've never got a pop-up with them and just uploaded yesterday. Maybe you need to check for spy/adware?

Most IPS's will give a littel bit of space. Something like 25 megs is the usual. The package I have offers 150.

All you have to do is ftp in to your account and then up them. Pretty easy to do.

Usually it is ftp://ispname.suffix/~primaryaccountname

I got tired of the limits the free hosting offered. So i just purchased some web hosting. Then I can setup what I want. That is actually the best, since you control the pic hosting software. I went overkill and got like 100gigs of space and a terabyte of transfer. So now I have extra where I can give space to some of my buds.

There is only one thing to say really!

Highly recomended by about half of the internet population who use free image hosting :beer:

"EDIT"

I just noticed that when you click on the link above theres some small txt on imageshack site.

Welcome, ocforums.com visitor!

Random i know but i never noticed that text there before :)

Shelnutt2 said:
pop ups for imageshack? Where? I've never got a pop-up with them and just uploaded yesterday. Maybe you need to check for spy/adware?

RJARRRPCGP is correct, they do have popups. I just had not noticed before because Firefox blocks them effectively.

S_Wilson said:
RJARRRPCGP is correct, they do have popups. I just had not noticed before because Firefox blocks them effectively.

Seems IE7 does also.

Enablingwolf said:
Most IPS's will give a littel bit of space. Something like 25 megs is the usual. The package I have offers 150.

All you have to do is ftp in to your account and then up them. Pretty easy to do.

Usually it is ftp://ispname.suffix/~primaryaccountname

I got tired of the limits the free hosting offered. So i just purchased some web hosting. Then I can setup what I want. That is actually the best, since you control the pic hosting software. I went overkill and got like 100gigs of space and a terabyte of transfer. So now I have extra where I can give space to some of my buds.

I just switched to DSL due to price and reliability after having cable for over five years. The DSL is very fast and very cheap but does not include web space and that is why I need to research image hosts.

Hmm,

Make one at http://openopinion.com/Testing/uploader (theres also a link on the right of openopinion.com to the uploader) Unlike other sites, theres few limits about file types, and if you cant upload something, Ask me , Its my own uploader. And Ocforums members are free to use it, for the class'es or on the forum. I do check for bandwidth abuse , and if you abuse it, Il contact the right people.

RJARRRPCGP said:
I don't recommend Imageshack anymore.

Imageshack suddenly started giving pop-ups. Also Imageshack does have a controversial TOS.

http://xs.to/ seems to be the best.
Just remember to make sure that the filename don't have any spaces, because it won't automatically fill the spaces.

What is it about Imageshacks TOS that is controversial? I briefly glanced over it but did not see anything that stuck out. Maybe I need to go back and read them again. :)

wizard james said:
Hmm,

Make one at http://openopinion.com/Testing/uploader (theres also a link on the right of openopinion.com to the uploader) Unlike other sites, theres few limits about file types, and if you cant upload something, Ask me , Its my own uploader. And Ocforums members are free to use it, for the class'es or on the forum. I do check for bandwidth abuse , and if you abuse it, Il contact the right people.

Thanks, I will take a look. Yea, image hosting for screenshots and classifieds for here in the forums is precisely what I need.

I want to give a big THANK YOU! to Enablingwolf, he helped me out and solved my problem.

Thanks again for everyones opinions, I appreciate it.

Your very much welcome bro. :D

It is one of the perks of purchasing a web host. No popups, ads or other hidden ToS things. Just a simple hey all I ask is this.. and it is done.

Personal webspace/domain is the best. You know the who, what, where and how the information is bieng used. Like I mentioned. If you have any issues, hit me up.

Back