• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping a friend with AIDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ecca

Hey guys, I was just informed that my best friend who has been in my life for 8 years may not have that long to live. His mother approached me recently asking if I could build him a gaming computer for his 16th birthday. This kid is into gaming, it is really all he can do since he is in a bed all day under close supervision. I really want to help this kid out and give him something he can remember. Please guys all I am asking for is 5 minutes of your time.

His mother told me she can only afford to spend around $2,500.00. I want to give him something that will be capable of DX10 gaming. He knows all about DX10 and was recently telling me he wishes he could play new games when they come out so he's going to love this :D

What I was thinking was:

cpu: x6800
mobo: P5WDH or Striker
ram: gskill or teamgroup
psu: silverstone st60f
gpu: g8800 (is it worth waiting for ATI?)

He's a big fan of tweaking so keep OC'ing in mind.

Thank you guys I really appreciate your help.

I think that its great what you're doing for your friend. I'll be more than happy to add my input.

I think the x6800 might not be as good of a choice as the AMD Opteron 2220 SE Santa Rosa 2.8GHz Socket F or say the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2. You'll come out paying around the same price per CPU I think the Intel is about $200 higher at newegg.

As far as ram goes I have always been a huge fan of Mushkin or Corsair but then again I haven't bought new RAM in a bit so they may have slipped just a bit in their quality.

And hands down my favorite place to buy cooling and heatsink would be plycon.com you should check them out and I'm sure if they don't have any AM2 or Socket F sinks they will get you some.

If I can lend help in anyway please let me know just drop a PM. If I don't respond for a day or two don't sweat I tend to be a rather busy cat.

Ambientfiction

Don't forget to splurge on a nice monitor/hdtv/projector setup!! Try and get the nicest one you can and spend the rest on the computer.

Thank you guys for the fast responses. I might tell his mom about a 37" Westy maybe she can put it on layaway or get a BestBuy gift card.

I will look into that site and AMD processor ty.

And don't forget to give him a large helping of memory ;). I'd say 2GB sounds good. Also go for a raptor or a Perpendicular Recording Seagate (the 320GB model is excellent).

Back