• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys WRT54G just stopped working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aliensRreal

For the pat few days our internet has been somewhat shaky, I figured no problem it's Comcast...Well, tonight the router seems to have quit. The computer gets connection no problem straight from the modem to computer. I can get into the router settings (192.168.1.1) and have tried a firmware upgrade and factory default settings and nothing. Anyone have an idea?

Did you at any point either reset or disconnect the AC-adapter cuz sometimes that's all it takes with the WRT54. If your settings are ok and it stops working again, just pull the AC-adapter for like 30secs. so it can restart. A reset will make you loose all your settings, a restart just reboots the router...

I have had the router unplugged for a few days and still get nothing. I will probably go out and buy a new router today...

EDIT: My computer doesn't seem to like any router. I just plugged in an old router that was not wireless and still get nothing.

Last edited:
I'll suggest rebooting the cable modem to refresh the DHCP information being sent to the router. Then reboot the router. IN that order.

Z

I don't know what was up with it. I ended up just buying a new router and everything worked fine.

princox said:
definitely strange stuff... was it still under warranty? Maybe you could get it replaced for free. :)

No, I had it over a year. I think I have narrowed the problem down to Comcast. I went over to BB and got a new Linksys, indetical to the one I had. A few days later my internet went out again. After that the router did the same exact thing. I tried all the things I could find on the Linksys website and nothing happened.

Stupid Comcast. :bang head :mad:

do you have an Ip address, subnet mask, Default gateway set up if you missing any of these that you cannot connect to the internet.

What about DNS info? Make sure you call comcast and get their DNS servers. Then put it in the router and maybe even your workstation

aliensRreal said:
No, I had it over a year. I think I have narrowed the problem down to Comcast. I went over to BB and got a new Linksys, indetical to the one I had. A few days later my internet went out again. After that the router did the same exact thing. I tried all the things I could find on the Linksys website and nothing happened.

Stupid Comcast. :bang head :mad:

My brothers having major issues with Comcast of late also .... tried everything I know and things are still screwy as all heck . Straight on wired (no router) is livable but still VERY problematic and the wireless is now a complete no go . Replacing the wireless as we speak (as it was kinda needed anyway) , but we shall see what transpires with the new router (WRT54GL) once it arrives .

I got rid of Comcast as soon as FIOS showed up in my area (about 1+yrs ago) and Iam SOOOOOO happy I did . FIOS has been rock solid . Too bad FIOS is not available for everyone at this time ... as I highly recommend !

Back