• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway FPD2485W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaronjb

I'm considering purchasing this monitor. I've been following a thread on [H], but want to know if anyone here has experience with it. It's $55 off at CircuitCity.com right now. With 24 months same-as-cash financing, it's hard to pass up.

Here are the specs on Gateway's site. It lacks HDMI, but does have HDCP over DVI. Also, it supports 1:1 pixel mapping, which both the Dell and the BenQ lack.

I checked it out at my local Best Buy, and it looks great. However, I couldn't really put the display unit through any real tests. I've heard about crushed blacks on this display, but I don't thinkn that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Any thoughts?

Update: Just noticed this has a DCDi processor by Faroudja. That's another plus.

Last edited:
EDIT: I see the one you picked out has 1:1 pixel mapping. Seems pretty good for that price. If you can live without an HDMI input then I would go for it.

I would wait on buying a 24" inch LCD right now. There is going to be alot of good ones coming out next year that you might want to wait for. These new monitors will all have HDMI (so you can have a PS3/Blu-Ray player and a monitor connected at the same time) and be fully HDCP compliant.

I know some of the current monitors have issues with 1080p video even though they are supposed to be compliant. The Dell 2407 has problems displaying 1080p due to firmware I think and the BenQ monitor w/HDMI will not do 1:1 pixel mapping (1080p input gets stretched to 1920x1200). The new wave of monitors will have these issues ironed out and of course they will have newer technology as well.

Last edited:
squads said:
I would wait on buying a 24" inch LCD right now. There is going to be alot of good ones coming out next year that you might want to wait for. These new monitors will all have HDMI (so you can have a PS3/Blu-Ray player and a monitor connected at the same time) and be fully HDCP compliant.

Yeah, but I want one now. :) So I pulled the trigger and ordered it. Should be here on Thursday.

I don't need HDMI - already have that on my HDTV, which I use for console gaming. I also view HD-DVDs on the HDTV, so no problems there. I'm really looking at resolution and image quality as my deciding factors. And, of course, price. :)

The Gateway has HDCP over DVI, which is fine by me. According to everything I've heard, you won't see the content bit enabled for a few years. Sony has indicated this a few times. In fact, they won't be enabling this for at least a few years. Enabling this would royally tick off thousands of consumers who purchased non-HDCP compliant sets, even recently. It will be another generation (3-5 years) before HDCP is enabled.

squads said:
I know some of the current monitors have issues with 1080p video even though they are supposed to be compliant. The Dell 2407 has problems displaying 1080p due to firmware I think and the BenQ monitor w/HDMI will not do 1:1 pixel mapping (1080p input gets stretched to 1920x1200). The new wave of monitors will have these issues ironed out and of course they will have newer technology as well.

Well, too late to wait. :) Got a great deal, $55 off and free shipping, plus the extended financing. I'll post a mini-review with pics when I get it.

It's certainly capable of doing 1080p. 1080p is 1920x1080resolution. The monitor is 1920x1200. It's got an additional 120rows of pixels to spare!

*Circuit City advert stats the monitor is capable of 1080p.

I've said this countless times. Just because it has enough res, doesnt mean it supports 1080p. My 2407 is 1920 x 1200, but cant support 1080p over dvi (or 1080i for that matter)

Also, I read the whole thread on it on [H]. Everyone loved it initiall, but allmost everyoen returned it. It really does have alot of problems.

I know THIS moniter does do 1080p, i'm saying the logic you used initialy isn't true.

Just because the res is high enough, doesnt mean it can process a 1080p signal.

Well i went to looked at this monitor tonight and its pretty nice. I think im going to pick one up. Im just thinking that my video card wont run this monitor very nice during games. But thats what ill use my 17'' for i suppose. Anyone heard anything bad about theses monitors yet?

That was a lot of pages to look through. At the beginning people were having problems and returning them but in the end it seemed as if gateway had fixed the problems with the newer monitors and everyone was very pleased with the monitor. Thats exceptable considering every new release of a product is bound to have some flaws. Ex. xbox 360. Looks like im going to go with this monitor even though its probably going to force me to upgrade my video card(ti4600 oldskool i know). If im not happy i can return it. Thanks for the link!

What kind of video card would run this decently? Considering im still using agp 4x technology. I play games like medal of honor allied assault, cod2, and would like to play bf2 but cant due to card being so old right now. I will upgrade computer if needed but would like to get maybe 1 more year out of my current one.

Last edited:
I think the best you can do for agp is a 7800GT or x850.

Also, maybe I diddn't read the end of that thread well enough, but it seemed to me people are still returning it. I'll have to have another look, but that thread is the best thing in terms of any reviews for it online.

ive looked through newegg and cant find a 7800gt for agp 4x/8x if you could point me towards one i would appreciate it. Is there something that would run the games i play pretty decent other than those higher cards. Ill be upgrading once directx10 comes out and would hate to spend lots of money on this card only to get a new one in several months.

aaronjb, I'm very much interested in your thoughts on this monitor, so please post up your mini-review when you get it in and set-up :)

I'm looking to finally ditch this P.O.S. 15" LCD and I think I am ready to splurge for a nice 24" and this gateway looked like it was almost too good to be true.

mr. roboto said:
I looked them up on the toms VGA charts, the 7800gs seems to beat out the x850 by a good deal in most tests.

not this crap again, darn tomshardware vga charts :mad: :mad: . (note I am not saying that the x850 is more powerful then the 7800gs turthfully they are about the same) Tomshardware uses the gainward bliss 7800gs + in their tests. They do not use a normal 7800gs at all which confuses some into thinking that all 7800gs cards will perform this well. The gainward bliss 7800gs + is really a 7800gt core, with 4 more pipelines then a normal 7800gs, and has 512mb of memory as opposed to the normal 256mb. Basically this card is an agp 7800gt with 512mb of memory. Well at least they didnt link the g71 version of the card that has a fully unlocked g71 core with 512mb of memory that card is basically an agp 7900gt 512mb. When it comes down to it the performance of a x850xt or x850xtpe is about the same as that of the normal 7800gs except that the 7800gs has shader model 3.0, where as the x850 does not, and the x850 has pixel clocks, where as the 7800gs does not.

gvblake22 said:
aaronjb, I'm very much interested in your thoughts on this monitor, so please post up your mini-review when you get it in and set-up :)

FedEx attempted delivery (a day early), so I'm going to the facility to pick it up tonight. I should have pics and a few words tonight.

Back