• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi...again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grub

Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm coming 'back to the fold'....get it...fold...er, nevermind. I just got an Opteron 165 and I'll be folding on that. I've seen people discussing folding on graphics card...is this possible?

there is also a new SMP folding client, which takes advantage of more than 2 cores. It's in beta testing, just like the graphics one. They both yield a good amount of points.

Grub said:
Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm coming 'back to the fold'....get it...fold...er, nevermind. I just got an Opteron 165 and I'll be folding on that. I've seen people discussing folding on graphics card...is this possible?

not to overwhelm you but... HERE is a list of threads that should answer (almost) any GPU FOLDing question you could have ;)

:beer:

EDIT:

:bang head seems you cant link to a search page for very long ... search "GPU" in the title of threads in the FOLDing section.

Last edited:
Will you be folding on 1 rig - your main rig?

if so then if you have an x19x0 card you can gpu fold with it for 500-800 ppd depending on card and OC minus the time you might game or other heavy video on it.
Asuming the operton 165 is a dual dore ... if so then you can run a cpu instance as well.

Assuming the opty 165 is a DC (god what an amd noob i am ... and forgetful too of my research on them :eek: ), then if it is not your main rig, or if you are happy using linux on your main rig, SMP is a good choice.

But you can't gpu fold in linux so if you have a good x1900 you might be better off folding in windoze.

The ideal is if you have 2 rigs ... one for smp, the other for windoze/gpu.

Give us some details of your setup and we can help some more :)

And :welcome: back to the Fold :)

Well..I'm using the regular x86 client and running 2 instances of it. I set the client # to 2 in one of the instance's config files, and it seems to be working (running both instances at full load).

THis is my main computer. Everyone in my family uses it. I run windows and the CPU is a dual core (Toledo). My video card is a NVIDIA 6800XT (300/700/128MB). SO far I've crunched 3 WU's. Those 'melt' WU's are insane...It took my 3 days to process it.

:cool:

Do the different users of the rig use their own logon?

Not sure if you installed the 2 instances to run as services but it might be the best way to run them with multiple people using the rig ... it keeps them out of the way and they will autostart regardless of someone being logged on.

On the wu's you are getting ... there seem to be some good wu's flowing on advmethods atm so you might want to turn that flag on if you haven't already.

Fold on !

:beer: :beer:

Back