• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet problems!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pizzapieguy

I having issues with my internet connection:
I have tried wireless and wired but always says acquiring IP address.

This is the story, my first comp, tried to put a wireless netgear WG311V2 pci card. That work for about 5 days then just stop working. The router was a netgear MR814. After that I removed everything including the router. I got a U.S. Robotics 5421 USB adapter installed that and a new router U.S. Robotics 5461. Still that didn't work. I dont know what im doing wrong. Every time i get acquiring IP address but it never does. The computer is running Windows XP Pro SP2. The system is Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB 80GB.

Depending on your ISP, it is possible that since you changed router, your new router MAC address isn't acknowledged by your ISP. Try to clone your first router mac address into the new one (if you have such an option on this model, not certain about it) and it should get an IP from your ISP's DHCP server instantly.

What type of internet service do you have? What type of modem?

First, try hooking you computer directly to your modem without a router. This will help to narrow the problem.

Back