• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on memory speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pizzapieguy

I was wondering if a DDR2 900 would run a whole lot slower then a DDR2 1066?
And lets say that the DDR2 900 has a Cas Latency of 4 and the DDR2 1066 had a 5. Both Dual-Channel.
Would there be a whole lot of differences in the speed of the comp.

pizzapieguy said:
I was wondering if a DDR2 900 would run a whole lot slower then a DDR2 1066?
And lets say that the DDR2 900 has a Cas Latency of 4 and the DDR2 1066 had a 5. Both Dual-Channel.
Would there be a whole lot of differences in the speed of the comp.

I would be willing to bet that DDR2 900 at CAS4 would be faster in the real world than 1066 CAS5. Of course, the only real way to find out is to bench it yourself (not what you wanted to hear). :bang head

S3CUR3 said:
I would be willing to bet that DDR2 900 at CAS4 would be faster in the real world than 1066 CAS5. Of course, the only real way to find out is to bench it yourself (not what you wanted to hear). :bang head

i dunno if this still applies, but intel cpus dont care that much about tight timings as amd cpus do, in short cas 5 1066 might give you better results. as s3cur3 said, you have to try yourself lol...

99%+ of all games and applications would benefit from whichever setting allows the highest CPU speed. So, I would not give up a faster CPU speed to run slower yet with lower latencies. FSB is still king in real world usage.

Back