• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system clock doesnt advance when off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulk88

I have a air firewalled (on paper) SS7 AMD K6-2 based AT PS system. Redfox mobo. It has a funny clock problem. It will not "tick" forward its clock if its off, but it never looses its clock. When I turn it on, the clock starts from when the machine was last turned off. While the machine is on, the time advances forward fine (time synced once with internet, left on overnight, in morning time is same as on other internet time synced machine). Is this really a battery problem? Wouldnt a battery problem cause BIOS to complain/loose settings/loose time completly (1/1/1970)?

The battery is the first thing I'd check.
The rest of the bios is just holding static settings, but the clock has to do actual work when the PC is off, so time advance can be the first thing to go.
Abit taught me that bios battery's can do wierd things to your PC...theirs usually suck. Every Abit I've had needed a new one.

Just get out the multi-meter and check the battery at least to eliminate the possibility..it should be ~3 volts.

Back