• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my Barton 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jay487

Registered
Somewhat new to OCing - but here goes

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard w/ latest bios rev
1.83GHz 2500+ Barton (currently OC'ed to 2.09GHz - 2800+)
1GB (2 512's) PC3200 DDR
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS OC 512MB AGP

Right now I have
Multiplier = 12.5
FSB = 166MHz
vcore = 1.70

Running stable... however, If I try to go to the next step (bringing multiplier back down to 11, and then FSB to 200Mhz (I can only choose 100, 133, 166, and 200 for FSB) my monitor goes black when I reboot and the system will not boot. I have to reset cmos in order to get back to square one.

I've even tried multiplier on 10.5 and 200 fsb, with vcore up to 1.8 and it still does not boot, I'm weary of going any higher on the vcore, unless someone has done this with success.

How come I cant get it up any higher?

I havent made any changes to RAM - do I need to bump vcore up on that as well? If so, to what?

Thanks in advance !!

you would think it would run at 10x200 on stock volts or a little over . the ram should not have to be overvolted because 200 is its rated speed. are you sure the multi is unlocked? do you know for a fact when you change the multi that it actually changes?

My Barton 2500+ wont budge an inch past 192 fsb stable. Sometimes you just get a bad chip, what stepping do you have?

it really depends if the ram can handle the fsb, not the other way around

i'm curious to know if your A7N8X Deluxe is version 2.0 or 1.0, that really matters too

i had a 2.0, and it had fsb adjustments in 1mhz increments, assuming you put the bios setting to manual or whatever it is

i had my old 1800+ and 2700+ as well as my current 2500+ running 220x11 on my A7N8X Dlx 2.0, on air with about 1.900v bios setting on vcore(it drooped to 1.86v)

bios is important too, i wouldn't use the stock asus bios, i'd get an "Uber" bios...
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/a7n8x-bios-releases-updated-30-09-05-vt15505.html

find the one for you, i'd suggest latest "Uber" bios...which should have the soft L12 mod done in it

I think the multi is unlocked ( i had it at 2.08ghz with multi at 12.5 which is the highest it will go)

I have Rev 2.0 of the Asus a7n8x deluxe

I can change FSB in increments of 1 Mhz now (forgot to change system performance to user defined :bang head )

However I left multi on 11x and tried to go up in 5mhz increments in FSB (so 171mhz) and even then it wouldnt reboot, monitor would go into standby.

Whats the best method of increasing these settings? And how/when should you change vcore?

Also should memory speed be on 100% or Auto?

now that I can increase FSB by 1 mhz, I just need to figure out why sometimes it wont reboot and my monitor goes into standby.

any ideas? :drool:

thanks

Last edited:
memory to 100% definitely, and again, I hope the ram can do pc3200 speeds(or more ;) )

for timings, start with 11-3-3-2.5 for stability, then try and tighten em up if possible

type of ram you have would help...

I've been running my 2500+ barton at 1.93 daily for the past 6 months. As long as you watch your temps, you should be fine. These chips can take a lot of voltage.

@ Molester

That is a hell of nice overclock on your barton, nice job man.

Hey Jay, when did you buy your Barton? It could give us a clue as to how far we can expect it to overclock.

OK I took out what I thought might be a faulty stick of RAM and

I'm currently at 3200+ 2.19GHz
RAM Timings - 7-3-3-2
Voltage = 1.75 so far, still waiting to see if its stable

also I bought the chip around 03/24/03

My next question is

A) Where can I find a cheap but decent 512 or 1G stick of pc3200 ram? (with same timings as above)
B) If i get the proper cooling (Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12) Can I go higher? My multi can still go up to 12.5, and fsb up to 300

Last edited:
Back