• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended Wireless Router G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metal Mike

Registered
So I tried two wireless routers and their not working very well. I live in the basement, and the wireless comes from upstairs is absolutely terrible. What's a good router that has very good range at a fair price?

Thanks!

MoPMatrix said:
Have to install a WRT54GC tonight.
I have that one and the range isn't too good for me. The router is upstairs and I'm downstairs with a middle floor between us.

Is the range for the Linksys WRT54G good? Like would it make my signal in the Very Good/Excellent range?

Metal Mike said:
I have that one and the range isn't too good for me. The router is upstairs and I'm downstairs with a middle floor between us.

Is the range for the Linksys WRT54G good? Like would it make my signal in the Very Good/Excellent range?

My 54G is on the 2nd floor of my house and I can be out at the end of my drive way (100ft long) and still get a signal on my laptop.
I use my laptop in my garage all the time, which is detached from my house and about 60ft away.
My dads PC is on the 1st floor and his connection always says 54mbps/excellent.

EDIT:
Was just thinking, u could just get the range extender antenna for ur 54GC instead of buying a whole new router.

Last edited:
Also, should I get a range extender or buy a the Linksys WRT54G? Which one would be more beneficial?

crash013 said:
A Linksys WRT54GL. Then run DD-WRT firmware on it. :)
What are the benefits of getting the WRT54GL? And it'll still work with Windows computer, right? (I run Linux and XP)

The GL is the original G. They are basically little Linux computers, with GPL firmware.

Linksys found they could make the Gs cheaper by not running Linux, so that's what they did. All the new Gs won't run third party firmware. But then people complained so Linksys re-released the original G as the GL (L for Linux).

Basically the GL lets you run third party firmware, which can let you do things that the normal firmware doesn't allow. For example, the default Linksys firmware locks the wireless part of the router at 50% power. But running third party software allows you to boost it up to 100% (or down to 12%, or whatever). That might come in handy for you if you're looking for range.

And lay the antennas flat if you want the signal to go up/down. Remember the signal comes out perpendicular to the antenna.

The OS you use doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. The router is running Linux - that's all it means.

Some good third party firmware: http://www.thibor.co.uk/

By upstairs you mean second floor or main floor?

I have the Dlink WBR-1310

Its a pretty good, dont think it can run third party software but it is fairly decent. Works perfectly fine for what I need though. My router is on my main floor right in the middle of my house, I get a good signal in every room.

Back