• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my psu is cheap, will i suffer anything ? ;/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

My PSU gives a wattage of 300 W ( at least thats what is written on it ) with a 12V current rating of 10.0 A..

my pc specs
Videocard: MSI NX7600GT @ Stock clocks
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 541 @ 3.2Ghz
Mainboard: Intel DG965WH
Memory: 1gig DDR2-533
Soundcard: Onboard

on the box of the 7600gt i have , it says it requires a minimum of 350W with 12V Current 20.0A.

i'm not facing any problems running with this cheap psu at the moment, stable 100%!

now i wonder if i get a better PSU, will i gain a better preformance (cpu/gpu ? )

The PSU brand i currently use is Mercury :-/

Many thanks in advance

lenix said:
Hello,

My PSU gives a wattage of 300 W ( at least thats what is written on it ) with a 12V current rating of 10.0 A..

my pc specs

on the box of the 7600gt i have , it says it requires a minimum of 350W with 12V Current 20.0A.

i'm not facing any problems running with this cheap psu at the moment, stable 100%!

now i wonder if i get a better PSU, will i gain a better preformance (cpu/gpu ? )

Many thanks in advance
I would really highly reccomend that you pick up a better quality unit. A god psu can last you through several builds, so consider whatever you buy to be an investment for futrue systems as well. :thup:

lenix said:

Welcome to the forums!

If that's not AMS Mercury, get rid of it ASAP - it's a Deer. Sooner or later (usually sooner) it will blow, and will likely take other components with it. I cannot stress enough how bad these are. You may not see better performance from a better PSU, but at least you won't see a dead video card, board, or CPU.

My suggestion: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-E5140GH

Thanks for the reply Wolf, but you're scaring me right there :-/
How can i make sure if it's "AMS Mercury" or not ?

plus, why are you so sure it would blow ? :S

The thing is that i live in the middle east, and here vendors are so crappy to get good stuff ( they mostly get generic stuff or whatever )... and i really doubt i'll be able to get something good from my country, so i'll have to wait for a relative that will come from australia or usa to here so i can order him something good.

The label should look a bit like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...P-4603EPS-X+EPS12V+460W+Power+Supply+-+Retail

I owned a Deer... they're awful power supplies. Light as a feather, poor quality components, overrated specs. Mine failed silently in that it blew all the output caps and fried a hard drive. It still powered on when I trashed it.

What do you have available there? I wouldn't suggest using this one any longer if you can help it. If you're good with a soldering iron, open it up and replace every last capacitor with a known good brand (Chemi-con, Panasonic, Rubycon, Sanyo, Nichicon). The folks over at Badcaps.net can help you find a source for them.

The cap replacement should keep it working long enough to secure a good replacement. If it's running hot I'd also suggest putting in a faster fan as well.

More than likely, the thing will crap out and take the mobo or cpu or memory with it. Not to mention that it stinks really bad when computer components fry lol. I will tell you what I have told everybody else. Sparkle or Fortron. Either one will give you the best bang for the buck and will outperform similar rated wattage psu's almost every time.

Power Supplies are the MOST important piece of hardware, if you have a nice box/parts you don't skimp on the PSU

It powers the BOX!

Bad PSU means bad power, means possible, BOOM, FIZZ, CRACKLE, SMOKE! :D

Get the idea? ;)

Lenix, I would suggest replacing it, unless you like replacing all the other components inside your case. Listen to these guys!

A PSU is one of the unique components, in that it can take out EVERYTHING inside that case! See how every other component has a wire coming from the PSU? Well, it can remove all of those parts. (Or, at least, turn them into smoking wrecks.)

Again, let me say, Sparkle or Fortron, if you want an inexpensive brand. (They, FSP, are the same company.) I've got my AW9D-Max running a Fortron. Flawlessly, I might add.

steve

dang, ;o i might go check more stores tonight and if i find any decent psu brand, i'll come and ask you about it guys, thing is
1) the chance that i'll find a good psu brand is small ( in my country which is Jordan )
2) if i find a good brand i'll prolly have to pay a lot for it, hmmph ;p cash cash cash

anyways thanks for the replies guys, appreciated :)

lenix said:
Hello,

my pc specs

Many thanks in advance

Wow, you're realy pushing your luck there.

Crummy PS's usually work great for a while, but deteriorate much quicker than a quality unit. I have made a living from computers for 17 years, and have never seen a PS take out any components. However, I have seen bad components take out a few cheap PS's. For some reason, a MB or HDD will occasionally start drawing high current, and ZZzzzzZOT! goes the cheap PS! Better ones can withstand overload, and have good overload protection.

Also, I have never definitely seen a cheap PS affect overclocking. I'm not saying it can't happen, mind you, but a too-big video card will have much more of an effect on it than overclocking.

Stable voltages make for stable systems. Guess how many thousands of electrical components there are in a computer system?

I can't afford to use a junk power supply.

A weak/poor PSU can cause lots of problems. The worst problem is it goes out and takes some of your other gear with it. The most frustrating is random reboots, etc. Don't take the chance.

You can get a FSP/Fortron delivered for under $50. The power rating on them is a true number vs. many of the other makers out their.

I lost a PSU and fortunately it didn't take anything with it. I've never used cheap since. I can't afford it (pay me now or pay me later!!).

lenix.. Your better off paying more for a good reliable power supply now, then paying for a good power supply and maybe a new mother board and ram later when the junk power supply takes it out. Then that would cost alot more.

I had a really lucky friend who blew up his junk power supply once a week without any damage to his computer. Went through 6 power supplies before he gave up and bought a good power supply. The new power supply is still working and it has been over a year now.

Back