• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you run raid with IDE and SATA drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scornduffer

I have a 500 Gig WD SATA and a Segate 80 Gig drive and I am hooking them upon a ASUS P5W DLX MB. How is the best way to hook them up on the MB?

Thanks

RAID anything between those two drives is not an option. Given their sizes, i'd use the 80 gig as your system drive and use the 500 Gig for media and stuff. If you can get another drive that matches either of your current drives, you could then set up a RAID array, but you'll need to doublecheck your mobo manual to see whether RAID is offerred on the SATA ports, EIDE ports or both, and go from there.

Intel ICH7R South Bridge:
* 1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
* 3 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s with Intel® Matrix Storage Technology with RAID 0, 1, 5 support

Matrix RAID is available on the SATA ports only.
There is also a hardware RAID controller that will theoretically allow one to build an array from the PATA and SATA ports.

But, as was stated, you should not be thinking you can place the two drives you have into any kind of array. If you eventually do a hard drive upgrade, get another identical 500 GB drive and set up a matrix RAID 0 partition and a RAID 1 partition and get rid of the 80 GB drive.

Can that board do raid over ata and sata? If you are able to do that you have two choices, 1) You could raid 1 or raid 0 them but the 500gig would only count as an 80 gig according to the system, 2) you could use the JBOD option if your mb supports it. JBOD is J.ust a B.unch O.f D.isks. What it does is take both the drives and merges them into one. No redundancy mind you. Furthermore I do not believe there is a performance increase. The only thing JBOD does is take 2 or more disks and makes the system see them as one continuous volume. Your 500 and 80 gig drives would become one 580gig hdd for no purpose other than making windows think you only have one drive.

Last edited:
There's the possibility of running software raid if you have xp pro or windows 2000. You can partition 80 gigs off of that 500gig drive and run a RAID 0 with the 80 gig drive. I'm not recommending this, but it is possible.

^^ this option will likely slow down your computer unless you're sure nothing at all is going to access the partition that isn't dedicated to the RAID setup of the 500 Gig drive. It might be interesting to see if it works though.

Back