• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system together no video...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeDVB

Registered
Hey. I just need some advice.

I have a Abit KN9-Ultra motherboard
AMD Athlon64 x2 3800+
2gig OCZ (1gig x2) 800mhz DDR2 Ram
2x500gig SATA 3g/sec Maxtor drives

My dilemma is that I ordered an Asus Radeon x1950 Pro 256 PCI-e video card that will not arrive until tomorrow but everything else is here so I put it together.

I ran out and got a cheap PCI (regular PCI) video card hoping I could boot the system up and get the Windows XP installation out of the way but when I power the system on with the regular PCI video card (nVidia 4000mx or something) I get no display, I don't get any warning beeps from the system either.

I tried removing the video card and booting just to see what it does and it would do the traditional error beeps and when I put the video card back in the beeping did not happen on boot.

Does the KN9-Ultra (or other PCI-E motherboards) not support older regular PCI video or is something else wrong?

Sorry for the newbie question =)

Mike

No bios with no display =)

I think the default is PCI-e

I mostly just want to make sure that nothing in the system is DoA... So if I could somehow get it to display SOMETHING I'd feel a lot better.

Mike

Last edited:
I'm thinking this PCI card is DoA

When I put it in and boot it doesn't error beep, when I take it out and boot it does the traditional "something is wrong" error beeps

But I get no display thru the card.

I'm pretty sure the memory & processor are fine because if there were something wrong with those it'd either not start up at all or ALWAYS error beep.

The MOBO is fine because if it were flawed it wouldn't boot up at all or I'd probably have other bigger issues.

The PSU I am sure is fine or it wouldn't boot at all.

So either the PCI card is DoA or it just defaults to PCI-e for display.

Reason I don't want to wait for the PCI-e card is because my shipment has been delayed. "Shipment Exception" is the order status and "Your order has been delayed by a factor not within our control." according to FedEx.

It still shows it showing up tomorrow by 3pm but I doubt it will since it's still in LA right now and it's been..... 14 hours since the "Shipment Exception."

I'll probably return this card and snag a PCI-e one tomorrow morning just to make sure the system itself is fine.

Mike

Edit:

Card is still on track for delivery by 3pm so I'm going to hit the sack and hope I wake up when FedEx knocks. Feel free to still post replies/suggestions/thoughts. Thanks!

Jan 4, 2007 2:21 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Jan 3, 2007 8:58 PM
Shipment exception
LOS ANGELES, CA
Delay beyond our control

patience! :)

I'm sure the issue with the PCI card is just that the board is defaulting to PCIe

If it moved from LA to Indy, it's on it's way so just go to sleep and wait till tomorrow :)

LOL I live right between Columbus and Indy so technically my package drove right by my house already! LOL! At least it's on a truck headed out here... It won't be here for another 3 or 4 hours I estimate though
;-( Patience is not a virtue of mine if you can't tell...

Jan 4, 2007
8:01 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
COLUMBUS, IN

7:38 AM
At local FedEx facility
COLUMBUS, IN

6:04 AM
Departed FedEx location
INDIANAPOLIS, IN

2:21 AM
Arrived at FedEx location