• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Reboots - Power Supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
I'm posting this here because I know my other hardware is ok.

Here's why:

Power supply is an Antec TP 480.

Getting random reboots after the computer has been on for a long time.

It's not the RAMs or CPU, I ran Orthos after the first random reboot for 8 hours no problem. Stability was perfect and all memory/CPU tests run fine. SuperPi runs fine too. Voltages all ok, checked all with DMM, even vcore (1.370), vdimm, VLDT and VLD, all good under Orthos priority 8 load.

I am thinking it's a heat issue, perhaps the power supply thermal sensor. It runs fine when first turned on for some hours. Unfortunately I can't check a PS for a heat sensor shutdown if that's what it is. I am thinking about getting a better PS like a Silverstone or Seasonic and keep the Antec as a spare. Of course that's a radical and expensive way to diagnos without being sure.

Capacitors visually look ok in this Antec TP480 power supply from what I can see but I know that's not necessarily conclusive. PS fan works fine.

Last night it rebooted 4 times at idle within 15 minutes but that was after it's been on a long time. I can also see if it reboots in DOS running Memtest86. Reboots can occur at idle after the computer has been on 8 hours or more or during normal use.

I haven't changed anything from my sig for weeks, it runs fine at this small overclock and run normal stability tests every few weeks.

I'm going to put my 120 mm 100 cfm 3450 rpm AC fan blowing right into the PS today and run computer all day normally and see if it's a PS cooling problem and if it reboots. Temps are normally not an issue in my cool basement shop. CPU runs 49-52C under Orthos and RAMS aren't overclocked enough to get hot. I can touch them and they are barely warm.

Since my system is a mild one with a small overclock and meek video card, the advertised output of this Antec should handle the system easily. I realize trying another PS may make a diagnosis easier and I do have another Antec TP 430 I can try. I just don't want to do that yet without trying more direct cooling on this one or trying any other suggestions.

I could be all wrong and it could be something else but all other tests indicate 100% stability and have shown this for a few months per my sig. The case side cover is always off.

I think I'd try the 430W and see what happens - it's hard to tell whether or not you're in the first stages of Fuhjyyu syndrome without visible signs unless you have access to an ESR meter. The extra fan might help diagnose things if the 480W is running warm though.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I think I'd try the 430W and see what happens - it's hard to tell whether or not you're in the first stages of Fuhjyyu syndrome without visible signs unless you have access to an ESR meter. The extra fan might help diagnose things if the 480W is running warm though.

OW,

This setup with the AC fan blowing directly into the PS area drops the warm air PS exhaust significantly.

I'll run this sucker 24 hours to see if it is the problem. And the caps I can see clearly are the purple Fuhjyyu.

Attachments

• MVC-047F.JPG
    MVC-047F.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 233
Oklahoma Wolf said:

OW,

Fourteen hours with the AC 115v fan running on the power supply as in the photo and no random reboots during normal operation. I know this Asrock board interferes with some air flow due to the position of the power connectors but this comp certainly isn't anything "hot" by any means with my equipment.

I sent an inquiry to Antec support asking if the thermal sensor could be faulty or out of adjustment. It just doesn't make sense that this PS is overheating to the point of a shutdown and random reboots from the use it gets.

Unfortunately, with it working that much better with the extra fan, I think the Antec's in the beginning stages of Fuhjyyu syndrome... it likely won't be too long now before they start bulging.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Unfortunately, with it working that much better with the extra fan, I think the Antec's in the beginning stages of Fuhjyyu syndrome... it likely won't be too long now before they start bulging.

Terrific.........well at least I don't have to ask what to get! You, Jonny and SN have laid out the best choices on this forum very clearly. This one is an exact replacment from early 2006. Cripes.............

I'm at the point now where I don't want a new replacement under warranty, I'm done with Antec.

And thanks OW!

RollingThunder said:
I'm at the point now where I don't want a new replacement under warranty, I'm done with Antec.
Welcome to the club. I bought Antec PSUs for years, but the last two were utter failures. Never again.

RollingThunder said:
Terrific.........well at least I don't have to ask what to get!

Heh - my Asrock really likes the ST56ZF ;)

Then again, I don't have a board that doesn't.

Corsair 520 HX Ordered

OW,

That Corsair 520 watt HX modular you recommened is ordered from Zip Zoom. Meanwhile, until the Corsair arrives still have random reboots in Windows and at the DOS prompt so it's nothing to do with Windows. While double checking everything with further tests, as soon as the 115V AC fan is on it and cools this Antec, the randoms stop just as I tested it before.

I'm sorta excited to get this Corsair, thanks for the suggestion for it.

Received an RMA from Antec but I don't want it replaced, done with them, but I guess they have no choice but to replace it and it's also from NewEgg just over 1 year. So, I'll put the sucker on Ebay and get something back from it or put it in the classifieds here while it's still sealed. Live and learn.............:)

Back