• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vid card replacement woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summit

So I have this newly-aquired 6800GT, I installed it in my system and at first it gave me the GPU error beeps (one long, two short). I didn't change anything, but I tried it again, and... it worked. I posted up yesterday asking for the best drivers for the card, I installed the recommended drivers, restarted, and everything worked fine.

Now this morning I went to use the computer and VOILA back to the GPU beeps, no picture on the monitor. I didn't change anything from yesterday when it worked just fine.

wtf?

Stuff I've tried:
-reseating the card in its AGP slot
-re-wiring the inside of my case so there is little contact of wires w/ the card itself

UPDATE: I just fixed the problem by taking the card completely out, putting it back in, and tying the mass of cables to the frame of the case (looks completely ghetto btw) so that it does not contact the card-- could this be what is causing the problem? I spent 35 minutes doing this, I'd really prefer that it not happen every morning. If anyone can identify the problem for sure i'd be really grateful. Till then, I guess I'll just keep usin' my ghettofied rig while it's actually running.

I used to use an ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb... it worked great. If that helps at all. I uninstalled all the drivers for it after I put the new card in.

Back