• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i got a psp, now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOThelagak

yah, i came across a psp for super cheap, think $15. and it came with socom. any other suggestions? i have never been a psp supperter, but you gotta love crack heads looking for a fix. anyways, what games would you suggest?

These will turn you into a PSP supporter:

LUMINES (the first on)
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Killzone Liberation
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Wipeout Pure
Virtua Tennis (always great in any format but best on PSP)

There are many others I can't think of, but the aforementioned are the best.

Oh yeah... forgot GTA LCS and VCS...

Yeah I guess you could pick up a DS Lite and My Little Pony DS... :p

Here is a good place for general information about the PSP... http://forums.qj.net/f-qjnet-sony-psp-forums-48.html/

I suggest spending a few hours reading about everything your PSP can do...and hopefully you got a fw version lower than 2.71 for ease :)

Not to thread jack but, on [H] someone just sold me their 2.71 PSP with a 1gb stick and a bunch of other accessories. It's going directly to 3.02b for the PSone emulation. I can't wait !

I like MGS PO a lot. I think Killzone is probably the better game though. Either that or Tekken are the best games available on a portable platform. And I say that in posession of Mario Kart, Metroid, and Elite Beat Agents (actually Phoenix Wright is the best in my opinion.)

find out how to upgrade to 3.02 OE-B even if it takes you a day of reading and a day to get it to work its worth it. Heck I didnt really use my psp much at all until decemeber 25th now I play it so much that my neck hurts badly.

BossBorot said:
find out how to upgrade to 3.02 OE-B even if it takes you a day of reading and a day to get it to work its worth it. Heck I didnt really use my psp much at all until decemeber 25th now I play it so much that my neck hurts badly.

Yeah. I'm about to go to 3.02 OE-B myself. Right now I have 2.71. Oh glorious PSP... If these DS Lite people only knew what they were missing HAAHAHAHAHA!! (Wait a minute... I got a DS Lite right in front of me... and a 360 to the right of that! And I might just get a PS3 just to make my life more complicated!)

Just fyi, 3.02OE-B is now old news, 3.03OE-A is now in. :) Couple of additions + rom compression. Maxconsole has compiled a list of games that shows the before/after compression size of each one.

Here it is

Well excuse me for being outdated I only spent the last few days playing psx games :bday:

thanks for the info time to go upgrade again

edit:
I tried compressing "Harvest Moon - Back to Nature", but after I launch it, the memory stick light blinks a few times, then the PSP freezes (with a blank screen) and I have to manually reboot it. (However, the game works when I do not compress it

arg that is one of the games that I have spend the most time playing, hey dont flame me some of us like farming sims, also even with compression I cant fit more then two games on my one gig stick.

Oh well I might as well upgrade so that I can stay on the cutting edge.

BossBorot said:
Well excuse me for being outdated I only spent the last few days playing psx games :bday:

thanks for the info time to go upgrade again

edit:

arg that is one of the games that I have spend the most time playing, hey dont flame me some of us like farming sims, also even with compression I cant fit more then two games on my one gig stick.

Oh well I might as well upgrade so that I can stay on the cutting edge.

I'll try my copy in a little bit to see if it runs for me and report back. :beer:

I love my PSP so much. :D You guys may want to check out CIntro (flash your own PSP intro, no time limit) and use your own gameboot (I recommend the prince of persia one). Custom Gameboot Mod and CIntro - Watchout, This version of CIntro only works with 3.02OE-B, there is a newer version that works with 3.03OE-A' (otherwise it may brick if wrong version is used!)

I suggest updating to 3.03OE-A before doing these two mods though, otherwise you will need to reinstall them.

-edit- My copy of Harvest Moon works perfectly for me, I'm guessing he compressed it wrong. Should be 87MB compressed.

Last edited:
dj_2004 said:
My copy of Harvest Moon works perfectly for me, I'm guessing he compressed it wrong. Should be 87MB compressed.

Woot compressed farming action!

I have another question after your compress the game can you use the saves that you had from before? I know that you can if you transfer games on and off but what about after you change the eboot by compressing it? Also can popstation compress eboots that you already have or do I need to redo it with the iso, which means looking for the img1 and pic1* all over again?

*I dont remember the two file names that you have to mod but you get the idea and I know who to do it properly I just dont feel like looking up what their names where.

I have a plane flight back to Cali tomorrow so I will prob get on this mon or tues.

BossBorot said:
Woot compressed farming action!

I have another question after your compress the game can you use the saves that you had from before? I know that you can if you transfer games on and off but what about after you change the eboot by compressing it? Also can popstation compress eboots that you already have or do I need to redo it with the iso, which means looking for the img1 and pic1* all over again?

*I dont remember the two file names that you have to mod but you get the idea and I know who to do it properly I just dont feel like looking up what their names where.

I have a plane flight back to Cali tomorrow so I will prob get on this mon or tues.

Took a look at this. With that GUI mod you convert eboots back into isos and then convert them back to compressed eboots. It also has a ton of other features. You will, however, have to get the icon0/pic1 files again as it only gets the iso back. Luckily Maxconsole has a icon/background list - here. Also with the GUI mod it automatically finds the appropriate save numbers (not sure what they are properly called), which you can change. So just make those numbers the same as your current save folder is and your old saves should be fine.

Other than emulation and the other things mentioned Daxter, suprisingly is very, very good and easily one of the best on the PSP.

Syphon Filter is very good as well and Mercury Meltdown is a cheap puzzle game that will keep you busy for hours.

ps are you guys getting full sound and frames with PS1 emulation? I was never really interested since it was far from a complete PS1 experince, but if you get sound and even decent frames thats pretty sweet.

OC Noob said:
Other than emulation and the other things mentioned Daxter, suprisingly is very, very good and easily one of the best on the PSP.

Syphon Filter is very good as well and Mercury Meltdown is a cheap puzzle game that will keep you busy for hours.

ps are you guys getting full sound and frames with PS1 emulation? I was never really interested since it was far from a complete PS1 experince, but if you get sound and even decent frames thats pretty sweet.

Full sound... full frames... and much better frames with compression. And emulation? Can you say: "NEO-GEO." What about the term "SAMURAI-SHODOWN"?

i was reading around about the psx emu. thanks for the link i couldnt find a good place to start. yah, i have been thinkin real hard about mgs:po, and i think ill get killzone. as for lumines, im not really into puzzle games. (except intelligent cube, that game was amazing)

NOThelagak said:
i was reading around about the psx emu. thanks for the link i couldnt find a good place to start. yah, i have been thinkin real hard about mgs:po, and i think ill get killzone. as for lumines, im not really into puzzle games. (except intelligent cube, that game was amazing)

None of us were into puzzle games until Lumines... Lumines changes EVERYTHING!

Back