• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is my overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstert

Registered
Hi everyone, hope everybody enjoyed their holidays.:bday:

After reading several parts of the overclocking guide in the forum i decided to overclock my CPU. I started off at a steady overclock then built myself up to a final overclock that i was happy with. Here is my end result;

HTT i changed to 3X (4x default)
Multiplier i left at 10X (default)
Core i set to 240 (200 default)
Memory divider i changed to 2/1.66 (2/2 default)
Voltage i set to 1.475 but in CPUZ it reads 1.456

The results i got was a stable boot up and in CPUZ my results are:

Core Speed: 2400.6Mhz
Multiplier: 10X
Bus Speed: 240.1Mhz
HTT link: 960.3Mhz
Ram Frequency: 200.1mhz

Now my questions are:
Is this stable for gaming?
Do i need to edit my Ram timings?
Should anything be changed?
Is there anything i need to run to verify full stability?
Have i done it all wrong?
Basically..any recommendations lol??

CPU: AMD Athlon Venice 3200+
Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NSC 939 + BIOS Ver F8
RAM: Corsair Select DDR400 2Gb Dual channel

Cheers

the best way to find if it is going to be very stable is to run prime95 toture test for i would say 20 mins..keep and eye on the CPU temps whilst it is running though. If it runs continually for the entire time then it should be fine. If it stops during the toture test then it isn't. :)

I noticed in CPUz that your RAM is running at the 2T command rate. There is no reason why it should not be 1T unless you have 4x512 of the Corsair memory. No big deal though. The other timings look fine.

Prime95 is your best bet for a stress test, but real life gaming stress will be the determining factor for you.

if you run a prime95 torture test do the Inplace large ffts 1 shown below:
prime95.jpg

as long as you keep an eye on your temps you should be fine :)

ive not been using prime95 so that might not be the best option but its the one i use and it works for me so i should think it would be OK :)

what is the normal clock speed of the Venice 3200+ ? is it 2.0ghz ? if so then i would think that 2.4 was quite good but thats just me :S ?

Drinkyoghurt said:
it should be stable,

i run my 4200+ @ 290 x9 @ 1.55 and thats stable so yours shouldn't be a prob
y do you run it there ? wouldnt a higher multi be better so you dont need your ram on a divider ?

asusradeon said:
what is the normal clock speed of the Venice 3200+ ? is it 2.0ghz ? if so then i would think that 2.4 was quite good but thats just me :S ?
oops my bad your right i was thinking that it was 2.2...

Memphis69 said:
i think you shoud try pushing that 3200+ a lil more lol but thats just me...
QTF = ), my 3200+ Winny did 2.7 im sure you can get higher than 2.4 with that venice

fabulouscoops said:
I noticed in CPUz that your RAM is running at the 2T command rate. There is no reason why it should not be 1T unless you have 4x512 of the Corsair memory. No big deal though. The other timings look fine.

Prime95 is your best bet for a stress test, but real life gaming stress will be the determining factor for you.

I was unable to change from 2T to 1T otherwise it doesnt leave my Ram as dual channel

I downloaded Prime95 and was getting immediate errorrs as soon as i ran it. So i bumped up the voltage to 1.5v, a little bit better results but shortly after.. same errors again. So i tried super PI and got these same errors...doh!

Now here is the good news haha. I went into my bios and noticed my Ram was running at 398 instead of 400! So i changed my bus speed from 240 to 241 which made it DDR 400 again,turned my voltage back down to 1.475v, booted up. I first ran Super PI because it looked interesting and it ran nice and smooth, i was well happy! After smashing Super PI i then tried Prime 95 for a few mins and it ran nice and smooth, no problems here. Max running temps for both Prime 95 & Super PI were about 53C.

I'm going to try Prime95 properly in the morning as i only ran it for 15mins because it is getting late.

Here are my Super PI results, from 32K to 32M http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Keiron/MySuperPIresults.jpg

Is speedfan accurate for temp readings though? according to my BIOS, my cpu is 37C at idle where as speedfan says it is 46C!

I'm very happy with 2.4Ghz, not planning to go any higher. I just needed a little more umph for a few months while i save up for some new tech.

Last edited:
monstert said:
I was unable to change from 2T to 1T otherwise it doesnt leave my Ram as dual channel

I downloaded Prime95 and was getting immediate errorrs as soon as i ran it. So i bumped up the voltage to 1.5v, a little bit better results but shortly after.. same errors again. So i tried super PI and got these same errors...doh!

Now here is the good news haha. I went into my bios and noticed my Ram was running at 398 instead of 400! So i changed my bus speed from 240 to 241 which made it DDR 400 again,turned my voltage back down to 1.475v, booted up. I first ran Super PI because it looked interesting and it ran nice and smooth, i was well happy! After smashing Super PI i then tried Prime 95 for a few mins and it ran nice and smooth, no problems here. Max running temps for both Prime 95 & Super PI were about 53C.

I'm going to try Prime95 properly in the morning as i only ran it for 15mins because it is getting late.

Here are my Super PI results, from 32K to 32M http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Keiron/MySuperPIresults.jpg

Is speedfan accurate for temp readings though? according to my BIOS, my cpu is 37C at idle where as speedfan says it is 46C!

I'm very happy with 2.4Ghz, not planning to go any higher. I just needed a little more umph for a few months while i save up for some new tech.

Well im glad you've sorted it out sounds more stable now.. im nt sure about speedfan ive never used it but ones i have used are motherboard monitor and pc wizard 2006. You could giv them a try they have given me accurate results :)

asusradeon said:
Well im glad you've sorted it out sounds more stable now.. im nt sure about speedfan ive never used it but ones i have used are motherboard monitor and pc wizard 2006. You could giv them a try they have given me accurate results :)

I tried MBM but that wouldnt work properly on my mobo, it read my CPU at 3 degrees lol. All other readings were correct, also it wouldnt load the driver after i rebooted. SO..i installed PC wizard 2006 and my mobo software (Gigabyte easy tune 5) and they both read my CPU @ 32-33C idle

Motherboard Monitor sometimes needs a little tweaking. You may need to edit the config file to customize it to your mobo. Some brands of motherboard are known to read temps or voltages too high or too low so you need to add a correction factor.

Well i've just finished a long day of gaming and my PC has ran really good. Max temp of the day was 46C, average was 39, with the lowest recording of 36. Thanks everybody for the advice, it was very helpful.

Back