• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Firmware Compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, only the correct version firmware will only work with the correct router version.

Look at the red text in the upper left corner:
Firmware

Cannot be used with the earlier WPN824 router !

I'm guess there is some hardware that is slightly different enough to yield needing different firmware. A lot of Netgear routers are like this. There are some model numbers with 5-6 different firmware versions.

The manufacturer may convey incompatibility of firmware between the devices (very usual for products that may be converted to other products by cross-flashing firmware or EEPROM), however the devices' firmwares may be compatible.

It is possible that Netgear is attempting to end support for earlier purchased models.

Well, I'm not going to flash my Netgear to the wrong version. How about you flash yours and report back? That way we'll know. :)

Bios24 said:
Well, I'm not going to flash my Netgear to the wrong version. How about you flash yours and report back? That way we'll know. :)
I do not own a Netgear router.

If the Netgear router has a flashing program that is not written when the firmware is flashed and is accessible after a bad flash, recovery from a bad flash may be likely.

I would attempt to cross-flash the Netgear WPN824 to Netgear WPN824v2 if I had the knowlegde that reflashing after a misflash would be easily doable.

Anyone know?

Back