• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you run Mandrake and Windows???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

urza

Registered
I just bought Mandrake 8.1 because I was always interested in Linux. But, I still like Windows (please don't laugh) and was wondering if I can run Windows and Mandrake on the same computer. Can I???

Yes you can, and the easiest way to do this is to dual boot.. To do this you would need to partition your hard disk into two as linux and Windows use different file systems. A menu could then be created to select what operating system you wish to use. I believe the easiest way to do this would be to obtain software called Partition Magic which comes with software called boot magic.. this has all the software required to make the partitions for each OS and a great boot manager

In theory, Mandrake 8.1 will install itself so that it dual-boots happily wirh Win9x. Just install Win9x first. Then again, it is Mandrake. Call me prejudiced, but I don't like Mandrake. All's fair, it returns the favor.

klosters64a said:
In theory, Mandrake 8.1 will install itself so that it dual-boots happily wirh Win9x. Just install Win9x first. Then again, it is Mandrake. Call me prejudiced, but I don't like Mandrake. All's fair, it returns the favor.

I say Redhat Better... JUst my opinion also If U want I boot to linux then emulate windows off that this way U are a lot more safer from Crackers like me... LOL

PS CRACKERS is the right Term not HACKERS

HACKERS = BAD CRACKERS = Good

GET IT RIGHT!!!!!:D

wolfsid said:

I say Redhat Better... JUst my opinion also If U want I boot to linux then emulate windows off that this way U are a lot more safer from Crackers like me... LOL

PS CRACKERS is the right Term not HACKERS

HACKERS = BAD CRACKERS = Good

GET IT RIGHT!!!!!:D
I always hated the "definitions" that people associate with things. "Hackers" used to be a term for really good programmers, now it's turned into a term, use by the media (and the rest of the world for that matter) for terrorists and juvenille delinquents, who take perverse pleasure in screwing up peoples/ companies systems and networks.

It is really annoying, I'm not an especially good programmer but I use the term hacking when I talk about editing config files. My friends always take it the wrong way.

yeah yeah, okay, hacking = bad, cracking = good.

I would fall under that second category.

Anyway, I installed Mandrake and I had to repartition my harddrive, but I didn't have to reformat the whole drive like with fdisk in DOS. I always thought that no matter what you had to. I get a menu when I boot that let me pick which OS to load, Windoze or linux.

But now what??? I know nothing about linux.

urza said:
yeah yeah, okay, hacking = bad, cracking = good.

I would fall under that second category.

Anyway, I installed Mandrake and I had to repartition my harddrive, but I didn't have to reformat the whole drive like with fdisk in DOS. I always thought that no matter what you had to. I get a menu when I boot that let me pick which OS to load, Windoze or linux.

But now what??? I know nothing about linux.

I would get a linux book for some pointers but most of it U have to learn by doing it also.. if not a good book then go to a nice webpage about linux and look up some commands...

Hack the planet...

Back