• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC XP2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EC8

Registered
This is my first go at oc guys so take it easy on me. Is it possible to overclock the 1.966Ghz xp2600+ without the use of hacks on the cpu? As i previously stated this is my first go and im not to keen to go physical with the cpu.

System Setup

Asus A7V8X-X
Athlon XP 2600+
512Mb generic ram (will get changed to 1G 2.5CL STT ram)

Any recomendations welcome!!

Just had some playing around with everest, potential for overclocking seems ok since after 10mins burnin test, temp only reached 42 for cpu and 29 for mobo. Everest stated the fsb ram ratio is 4:5 is this normal?

Last edited:
You can definitly OC the A-XP. Very rarely do you have to use 'hacks' on the cpu for overclocking. Overclocking depends more on the motherboard. Do you know if you have an unlocked multiplier on the cpu? or is it locked? Do you know how to overclock? Have searched and read the stickies?

well I can change the multiplier on the mobo, that i assume means its unlocked. And yes have serched but im still unsure what should I start with and aim for.

managed to get it running at 182 fsb but it crashed occasionaly so moved back a safe distance and now im at 2.06Ghz, will have another try to improve things as soon as i get the 2.5cl ram.

EC8 said:
This is my first go at oc guys so take it easy on me. Is it possible to overclock the 1.966Ghz xp2600+ without the use of hacks on the cpu? As i previously stated this is my first go and im not to keen to go physical with the cpu.

System Setup

Asus A7V8X-X
Athlon XP 2600+
512Mb generic ram (will get changed to 1G 2.5CL STT ram)

Any recomendations welcome!!

Just had some playing around with everest, potential for overclocking seems ok since after 10mins burnin test, temp only reached 42 for cpu and 29 for mobo. Everest stated the fsb ram ratio is 4:5 is this normal?

Make sure that the RAM frequency option is set to "Manual" and choose the value that's the equivalent of the current FSB. These motherboards seem to be tough. You're probably able to recover without resetting the CMOS if you OC too much.

hmm i left it set at auto... and yes deffinitely you can recover from bad OC, tried to boot with 200fsb to c what happens just restarts and gets you straight to the fsb setting. will give it another go when i get the 1g 2.5cl ram.

it looks like that motherboard uses the via KT400 chipset. It probably cannot do 200fsb or DDR400, because it came around before the last and only chip to run at 200fsb, athlonXP 3200+.

I would try keeping it at 166fsb (333 rated) and change the CPU multiplier. That gets rid of all the northbridge, RAM, graphics card, and PCI issues by not fiddling with it. You may run into that old 12.5x barrier (is that even a problem in the last generation?).

There is a reason why CPU manufactures now lock their CPUs; it makes OCing too easy :bday: . AMD started locking their processors around October 2003. If you change the multiplier and the setting doesn't stick, then you probably have a locked processor.

Remember that you may have to increase the vCore to increase stability, but beware: increase in voltage = increased heat and danger of killing the chip. Do not take an AthlonXP beyond 1.9volts, that's asking for a short life.

well... didnt go to far with the setup. Only managed 2035mhz at 177fsb, anything over 177 crashes even with a 1.77 vcore i dont dare go any more than that since the voltage steps are of .05 each. Managed to have a little bit more luck with the ram timings from 3 4 4 10 to 2 3 2 6. And wont be changing ram since, when I install a module in any slot iether than 3 the system doesnt boot, seems like dram slots 1 & 2 are fried.

Would you recomend trying a higher voltage to see if things might work?

so... as a novice oc I assume its quite easy to make these mistakes, i oc the ram timings prior to when the cpu was on stock setting obviously that made things hot when i got the cpu oc again. Now im doing things the other way around (at last). Managed to get things working at 193fsb @ 1.81vcore but prime kept hangin the system. So found a good stable setting at 187fsb @ 1.77vcore. Temp is in the 48c at full load. Will run this for a week or so to check out stability.

In short:
Stock vs OC:
1909Mhz - 2150Mhz
FSB : 166Mhz - 187Mhz
Vcore : 1.66V - 1.77V
Ram Timings : 3 4 4 10 - 2 3 2 6

Any good? should i have achieved more?

Last edited:
EC8 said:
So found a good stable setting at 187fsb @ 1.77vcore. Temp is in the 48c at full load. Will run this for a week or so to check out stability.

In short:
Stock vs OC:
1909Mhz - 2150Mhz
FSB : 166Mhz - 187Mhz
Vcore : 1.66V - 1.77V
Ram Timings : 3 4 4 10 - 2 3 2 6

Any good? should i have achieved more?

187 FSB is pretty good for a kt400.

At this point you can try bumping up the multi on the CPU. 1.77v should get you pretty far. Just keep an eye on CPU temps.

well temps are at almost stock, maybe a few over. Currently idle at about 42-46 and sustained load 48 - 51. Realy is the kt400 so bad an oc?? And regarding to multiplier, its sadly locked :(

See my second sig rig. Also a kt400. At 187 (IMHO...) you are approaching the wall for a safe overclock on the FSB on that board. With a locked multiplier, that sharply limits the potential for a great overclock on that CPU.

I dont like, I want more lol. I was very eager to get to 2.2g looks like I wont make it for 5mhz fsb. Just turned down all mem timings since media player managed to give me blue screen 3 times in a row, even if the setup ran fine on super and prime. Will start getting the timings back up, and maybe up a mhz here and there on the fsb. I want that 2.2Ghz and I want it bad

EC8 said:
I was very eager to get to 2.2g looks like I wont make it for 5mhz fsb....I want that 2.2Ghz and I want it bad

With a locked desktop Barton (11.5x multi), to get to 2.2Ghz you're going to have to run your FSB at 191-192. This is a very dodgy thing to attempt on a kt400.

I have seen others with kt400 rigs running a FSB at above 190, but you do so at your own risk. I hit the brakes at 188 and *I* have been chided for going even that high.

Have all of your installation discs nearby if you try this. :)

EC8 said:
well... didnt go to far with the setup. Only managed 2035mhz at 177fsb, anything over 177 crashes even with a 1.77 vcore i dont dare go any more than that since the voltage steps are of .05 each. Managed to have a little bit more luck with the ram timings from 3 4 4 10 to 2 3 2 6. And wont be changing ram since, when I install a module in any slot iether than 3 the system doesnt boot, seems like dram slots 1 & 2 are fried.

Would you recomend trying a higher voltage to see if things might work?

I had a very similar experience with my KT266A board. 177 FSB is where prime95 would get errors after a couple of tests. I backed it off to 175 FSB and it's running great. I'm stuck at a 12.5 multiplier right now but I dont know if it's really worth doing the wire trick at this point. I may be able to bump the FSB just 1 Mhz, which would put me at an even 2200. I'll try it later and see if it'll pass prime95.

Attachments

• oc4.JPG
    oc4.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 214
well indeed oc is always at ur own risk flail. And iv been up to 192 boots to windows but is never realy stable enough to run any aps, even loading msn gets you a blue. Managed to get a good stable run with prime and super pi at 188 but media player managed to blue sceen me 3 times in a row. So now im at a safe 186 knotched the vcore down to 1.71. Seems like 2140Mhz is the best I can do on this rig!!

E_tron said:
it looks like that motherboard uses the via KT400 chipset. It probably cannot do 200fsb or DDR400, because it came around before the last and only chip to run at 200fsb, athlonXP 3200+.

Yep, it's a Via KT400. The Via KT400 don't have a PCI and AGP lock, but the BIOS will tell you at least roughly how much the PCI and AGP buses are being OC'ed. No way in the universe that it can do 200 mhz FSB!

In fact mine wasn't 3D Mark 2001 SE stable at anything higher than 175 mhz!

3D Mark 2001 SE got terminated when higher than 175 mhz FSB on mine, possibly even a little bit under 175 mhz! Let alone a lousy 180 mhz! :mad:

Best you can do with the A7V8X-X is to have the RAM at 2.0-2-2-6, but you likely are required at keep it at 155 mhz or lower.

EC8 said:
So now im at a safe 186 knotched the vcore down to 1.71. Seems like 2140Mhz is the best I can do on this rig!!

186 stable is obviously also very respectable.

I treated myself to some Crucial (Samsung) pc3200 for my kt400 so I took the memory out of the overclocking equation. That made 188 attainable. It was also one of the better kt400s out there at the time. Even with Crucial (Micron) pc2700 I was able to get to 180+.

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
Best you can do with the A7V8X-X is to have the RAM at 2.0-2-2-6, but you likely are required at keep it at 155 mhz or lower.

Well I was running 2 3 2 6 @ 182 fsb but had to relax to 2.5 3 2 6 on 186.

Your CPU's default multiplier is x11.5. I think you have an unlocked multiplier, because your CPU is paired with a pre late 2003 chipset, KT400.

Try setting the multiplier to x12.5 in the BIOS (if you can). FSB186 x12.5 multiplier (the max without the wire mod or fancy motherboard) = 2325mhz. That's well beyond your 2.2ghz goal (FSB176 x12.5 = 2.2ghz).

Back