• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag software...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

What defrag software are you huys using? Alot of the programs I've tried seem pretty bloated. I want something simple and fast, any recomendations?

What have you tried?

There is a huge gap of what people think is bloated software (I think firefox is bloated for my purposes currently for instance)

I use PerfectDisk. It's fairly quick and seems to do a good job. I set it to defrag every week so I don't have to worry about it.

I've used O&O, Perfectdisk [9?], Diskeeper 2007, and perhaps one other that I can't think of. O&O was the closest to what I was looking for, but still wan't quite it.

Diskeeper for me. Version 8 because it works so I have no reason to upgrade...........

i reformat windows way before i would ever need to defrag, but I would use perfectdisk or just the windows one.

VincentP said:
i reformat windows way before i would ever need to defrag, but I would use perfectdisk or just the windows one.

If I remember correctly the Windows Defrag program is just a stripped down version of Diskeeper. How often do you reformat? I reformat about every 4 months and still need to defrag.........

VincentP said:

No way.

IIRC Just installing windows causes fragmentation. (Unless you are using images).

I defrag minimum once a week

reimaging on a matrix raid array would almost be faster LOL :p

IIRC Epox did his in 15min.. that pretty quick but it was a minimal image.

i use diskeeper. I use the "set it and forget it" method, so it pretty much defragments every night.

I also use linux which never needs defragmenting. :)

I use PerfectDisk, and like O&O as well. Both are very good products :) My only complaint with PerfectDisk is that it's scheduling service can start to suck up memory if left open for long periods of time.

splat said:
I also use linux which never needs defragmenting.
Tell that to my linux box, would ya? :D Don't know about ext3, but my ReiserFS partition gets a bit on the fragmented side between compiles, portage syncs, and general usage. It's hard to say since I've yet to find any good apps, but ReiserFS seems to fragment at about the same rate as NTFS.

JigPu

Back