• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem using rubber fan mounts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
I got some of these for my PC:
http://www.svc.com/rs.html

What the heck am I doing wrong that I can't get the fan-side mount to go in?? I can get the case-side in ok, the case material is thin enough that I can wedge half the case-side holder in then do the other half. But I can't get the fan-side in at all and I've already torn one trying to stretch it in. The detail picture on that page shows the fan-side of the mount on the right. It's irritating me because it's a pretty simple thing :mad: The only thing I can think is to drill out the fan mounts a bit the only bad thing with that is I won't ever be able to use regular screws on them in the future. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Nevermind, I got one to go in by cutting off two sides of the fan-side flange with a razor. It stays secure fine although it won't take being removed very many times but it doesn't need to be. I'll try doing just a 1/4 cut and jamming the rest in with a plastic tool. This can serve as a tip for anyone who has the same problem.

Last edited:
I've used mounts similar to that. I found them hard to get in unless I used needle nose pliers to help pull them through (gently of course)

EDIT: and the ones I had came with SilenX fans. They were pretty stretchy and didn't rip or anything

Yea these were stretchy but not enough to pull through without tearing :shrug: The flange is just too large to fit through the fan holes is all, cutting off part of that flange helps a lot.

MadMan007 said:
Yea these were stretchy but not enough to pull through without tearing :shrug: The flange is just too large to fit through the fan holes is all, cutting off part of that flange helps a lot.

Yeah, I found that flange hard to get through with the ones I had also. But that is the main holding power for the thing. So you just have to wiggle and stretch. That's why I found the needle nose good. You could get a good grip on the things and stretch them as needed.

MadMan007 said:

Do you notice a difference in noise?

MadMan007 said:
I got some of these for my PC:
http://www.svc.com/rs.html

What the heck am I doing wrong that I can't get the fan-side mount to go in?? I can get the case-side in ok, the case material is thin enough that I can wedge half the case-side holder in then do the other half. But I can't get the fan-side in at all and I've already torn one trying to stretch it in. The detail picture on that page shows the fan-side of the mount on the right. It's irritating me because it's a pretty simple thing :mad: The only thing I can think is to drill out the fan mounts a bit the only bad thing with that is I won't ever be able to use regular screws on them in the future. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Spray them with a little silicone and pull them in. They'll pop in nicely.

RollingThunder said:
Spray them with a little silicone and pull them in. They'll pop in nicely.

Lube it up! But yea I don't have any silicone lubricant, even with part of the flange cut off I'm still sure they'll hold well. As for noise I didn't test without them but I figured for a few bucks why not :p

MadMan007 said:
Lube it up! But yea I don't have any silicone lubricant, even with part of the flange cut off I'm still sure they'll hold well. As for noise I didn't test without them but I figured for a few bucks why not :p

Mad,

Personally, and this is only my opinion, those rubber fasteners are all BS. Try your fan held normally with screws then try them with a little drop of RTV silicone between the fan and your case under the screws. If the fan is any good and well balanced, you won't know the difference.

Oh, and the RTV will hold your fan in place by itself. Four small dabs on each corner is fine. I have a small cooling fan for the RAMs in the upper drive bay held by nothing more than 4 small dabs of RTV on each corner. It's not going anywhere.

Attachments

• MVC-069F.JPG
    MVC-069F.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,301
The sunbeams are notorious for being crap and difficult to install. Jab-tech sells some nice rubber mounts that will work with closed flange fan. Elsewise, if you're willing to pay a premium, the one from verax fans work great, though they're $5 for 4. On large fan holes you'll need to use an additional washer from Home Depot (or wherever), but they're my personal favorites.

Back