• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H is eating my bandwidth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

So I've had an error now that has lasted for three days.

I get

"Could not connect to server, error code 503"

or

"Could not connect to server (wininet)"

I did some homework and these are reported as server errors and should be temporary.

Well 25 failed uploads later, I'm starting to question that.

F@H originally has no problem accessing the internet and turning in work units. It isn't blocked by my firewall or virus protection.

And while it goes into a loop trying to send this stuff, it is hogging my bandwidth.

Solutions?

ummmm....lets see
what does your network look like? just a typical modem to router to computer?
Are you "Useing Internet Explorer Settings" in the configuration? Thats a question when you go through and set your team ID and username....
I'm not too sure about these problems, I haven't had many....just be patient someone will come along and give ya a good answer.

My cable modem is directly plugged into my computer.

It is set to IE settings, and I did upgrade to IE7 (even though I don't use it at all) during this time frame.

I think you gave me a new lead. I'll see what I can dig up.

EDIT: Nope, no changes. I however notice something in the wording of the error that I missed before.

"Couldn't SEND http request to server"

I wonder if my firewall somehow miraculously blocked it. I doubt it though, it can still download new work. Hmm.

I'm 1% away from finishing 2 work units and I have 4 in the queue. I'd like to get them uploaded.

FAH IE settings will not work with IE7. The correct answer to the config question Use IE settings is no. Same for use proxy.

Yes, I had to stop them to set the -config flag to change the settings. I'm going to restart the comp and see if that does anything.

EDIT: A restart allowed one of the two console clients I have running to send its data. The other one still fails out. Both have identical settings.

Can the two instances conflict with each other when trying to access the internet at the same time?

Last edited:
Well there you have it folks.

The two clients were in conflict. I quit out of both and started only the second one. The second one is uploading its work now.

And boy does the F@H server destroy my upstream. It uses 100% and I can't do anything internet based while I am uploading. :/

Thanks for your help. I'm off to fix the borgs now. I was wondering why they hadn't turned in any work.

ChasR:FAH IE settings will not work with IE7.

It must work with some versions of FAH. My son's computer has had IE7 on it for several months. FAH is by Wedo's One Click and there have been no problems with it.

I personally have had problems with my computer functioning properly using IE7 and after talking with Microsoft (MSN) about it chose to uninstall it (their recomendation) and go back to IE6. These were issues other than FAH and seem to have been resolved using the older version of IE.

Wedo's one click defaults to not using IE settings. So unless you manually edited the client.cfg to use IE settings, it isn't using them.

@ sat...6
When running two instances on 1 machine, the second instance must have a different machine ID than the first.

ChasR:Wedo's one click defaults to not using IE settings.

Wedo's One Click would still seem to be a good choice for borging since Microsoft Update will install IE7 and probably already has if you have a borg set to automatically update.

The owners of both of my borgs have no interest in babysitting FAH. I was told by one that, "You can install it, but I don't want to see any evidence that it's there". As a result I rarely get the chance to check to see if it's folding properly or not.

Back