• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just fixed my X-Fi, though I don't know how

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

My X-Fi had recently started playing up, and was refusing to work when the PC was restarted. Then last night it stopped working at all.

I tried all the usual things with no joy, and I had almost given up. Then this morning I removed the card with the intention of RMA-ing it.

Then I tried plugging the extra floppy power connector in (I think you are only meant to do this on the Fatal1ty and Elite Pro models, I'm sure it didn't mention doing this in the manual for my Platinum). It still didn't work. So I noticed an un-shorted jumper on the card, and something possessed me to short it. After I had the card worked perfectly.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the case that a jumper had fallen off the card during operation, because I looked in the bottom of the case and couldn't find one.

I'm just puzzled as to how these two things could possibly have fixed my problem.

the ribbon connector goes to the drive bay interface, not the mobo; just to verify for you.

the only jumper I found on it is placed to use a dynamic microphone(specific ones, most work already)

so yeah, thinking maybe it was loose in the PCI slot, or something was shorting somewhere and you brushed it off.

Back