• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Zalman VF900-Cu cooler probelms!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El Romano Loco

Registered
I need to know if there is anyway i can fix my X850XT AGP vid card.

I just installed this Zalman cooler and now there are lines all over the screen in black and white checkered and I can only see parts of the desktop!! The lines are about 2" wide and are vertical.

I tried putting the stock cooler back on, same thing!!!

What the hell did I do!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Adrian

Last edited:
I will take a pic with my digicam and post up..

I am sure I seated it right, I tried it on three diff computers and all the same...

I also tried to reflash the bios and no luck :(

let me get some pics.

Ad

Try cleaning the core and surrounding chip area very carefully with 99% alcohol, a little stray AS5 can cause this. Other than that it's prolly DOA, sorry.

o man ouch, try cleaning it again and reseat it and see what happens if it doesn't fix it card is done. =[

something is either not lined up properly with the new attachment, or you fubared something on the PCB (krap, i have done that TWICE with ATI cards), or you used too much AS5 (the standard stuffs, slightly conductive, Ceramque gets around this problem)....

first thing i would do is carefully disassemble, clean again throughly, inspect with a magnifying glass for damage, and then carefully reassemble, paying close attention to flatness of the cooler attachment and also using small amounts of AS5, doesn't have to be AS5, but it doesn't hurt....any decent thermal transfer paste will do the job...............

if it still persists, then the card got hosed with the cooler changeout.

bummer

baldy

Cool, I will try that tonight... I hope I can save it.

I am just curious as to what exactly happened?? I was very careful with the install and I did use AS5.

I'll post back after re-installing it.

thanks for the help!

Adrian

Upon removal of the cooler again, I noticed(without a magnifying glass) that one of teh r150 resistors had broke off one end and was slanted right next to one of the two holes where the oem bracket screws to...

What happened is when I installed the Zalman, there are these little pvc washers you must install before you tighten down the two screws with springs on the backside of the gpu, and I must have overtighten the one and caused that tiny little resistor to break off!

So i set it back over where it was and boom, everything is back to normal. Damn that Zalman is sooo quiet compared to oem ati coolers, and idle is 4C cooler and full load is 12C cooler!

wooo hooo!! thanks for the tips guys. This is one of the main reasons to have forums like this.

Take care!!

Adrian

Back