• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

display image going on and off on and off.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyleboy77

This computer is being dubm. Somtimes it just randomly makes the monitor turn on and off. sometimes its worse than others. Ive tried everything that I can think of to get it to stop and it won't. I even tried a different video card and it didnt fix the issue. Recently i noticed that there are little white "artifacts" fluttering around. Im starting to think its the power supply
Any ideas.

Im running the newest drivers too.

here is the other specs on this particular compie

ASRock NF4G-SATA2
Powercolor X800xl 256mb pci-express x16 (tried a geforce 7600gt same issues)
Corsair ValueSelect 1gv( 2 x 512mb) ddr 400
Western digital 160gb sata 3.0 hd
ite-on 16x dvd+/- r dvd burner
Athlon 64 3200+ venice 2.0ghz 939 processor
Apevia X-Qpack case w/ 420 watt ps
samsung 225bw lcd(but had same issues on a crt)

Happens on two different monitors, so it's not what I suspected (I had an old CRT that does this all the time)

It's not the PSU since you traded that out.

Artifacting (white spots on the display) is a sign of either video card overheating or video card overclocking.

Make certain:
1. Fan on video card is functional and clean
2. Heat sink on video card is firmly attached and clean
3. External power adadpter is firmly attached to video card
4. Monitor cable is separated from any power cables wherever possible

Woah, I just re-read your post.

You used 2 different monitors
You used 2 different video cards
You used 2 different power supplies

And the video errors continued still?

It might be time to break down and run some mobo diagnostics.

ive updated the mobo bios, moved the memory around, reinstalled windows, and it still does it a bit not as crazy but it still does it

what are some diagnostics programs i can run?

you said you tried different monitors, but how about different video cables? Maybe its a bad cable or loose connection?

How about booting to safe mode, does it still do it then?

Sorry if these suggestions are repetitious, just trying to think of anything now to narrow it down.

each monitor has its own cable... the lcd is brand new and has a dvi cable. the crt is analoge and has its own vga cable.
ive also tired various drives and the same problem, and with a fresh install of windows i'd think that if was gonna be ok in safe mode it'd be ok in a fresh install

Last edited:
Did you try eagle's suggestion of the mobo? Do you have a different mobo you can try the components with? (I know, its a long shot and a pain to do, but it seems like you covered almost everything else)

I assume you're not overclocked while you're troubleshooting.

I don't know what else to suggest...

i do not have another mother board to try ive been considering buying a new one. also this machine has never been overclocked

Last edited:
Well guys ive totally exhausted my options here i think... i just replaced the motherboard and the screen STILL flashes on and off just like before... WHAT THE HECK!!!!

Back