• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

give an OLD computer a chance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maiof

hello... i have an old 233 MHz AMD-K6, 128MB ram PC and was wondering if anyone has ever gotten winXP on something like this? it wont be for internet... just as word processing and saving pics from an OLD digi cam..
i know win xp's minimum sys req is 233 MHz, 64MB ram.. but is it worth it?

it's got winME on it because the camera wont run in 98.. but it's got some serious issues right now with ME.

thanks,
mai0f

For what you describe, I suppose it's possible. I've never had XP running on any machine that slow, but 128MB of ram is enough. Just be sure to strip down the services to almost nothing and it might be usable.

you could get it to run on that... heck i ran a 12 person cs server with xp on a 400mhz celly... it think if you stripped down xp enough you could have a halfway decent one.

windows fundamentals (WinFLP)

I am running it on a 466MHz celeron system and the desktop just pops like my more modern machine.

However it is not running as well on a K6=2 333MHz I have Overclocked to 515MHz. So ymmv

It's doable. Not fun, but doable. The 128mb RAM is your biggest bottleneck. XP crawls even with 256. Light usage like Word shouldn't be a problem though. I'd recommend making a custom install disc using nLite. There are also threads on tweaking XP to run on old hardware. Good luck :)

I have a P233 with 192mb EDO and it ran XP flawlessly (minux the themes)

Try WINFLP if you have access to it (Microsoft SA only)

ive done it on a 500mhz amd laptop with 192 of sd memory and xp flies. my little brother renders videos (very simple videos that usually pertain to naruto or star wars) on it all the time without a hitch. i would even say its fun... i used a guide from an old maximum pc that had a relatively thorough article on how to optimize xp.. if you want i could probably scan it for you.

^^No do not go with 2K XP will run smoother if you have enough memory. 256MB at least but it will run with 128MB.

XP "WILL" run better than ME no matter what. ME is the flakeyes POS operating system ever released by M$.

I ran XP on a P150 and on a K6-2 200Mhz. It will do it,. it just depends on what you want to use if for.

That 233Mhz CPU of yours should do 300Mhz no prob with a slight jumper switch on the mobo. Stock voltage and cooling.
I had trouble getting them past 300Mhz on pentium motherboards though cause for some reason at a setting for 350Mhz it ran the bus
speed at 33Mhz instead of 66Mhz. The chip was running at 120Mhz!!! Weird cause nothing used 33Mhz bus since the 3/486 CPUs.
It will do 300 and maybe more depending on the mobo. On a good mobo I got a 300Mhz PII to 450Mhz.

Here is some proof
http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm

Some of that is hard to belive but it will run.

Last edited:
Back