• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

Either a FX - 62 or a 5200+

The 5200+ Would save a ton of money... but im willing to spend anything atm.

I want to OC my cpu a bit, but not much, as im new to it all, and dont wanna **** it up :p

So what would be better out of those 2 ... If the FX -62 just blows away the 5200, ill get it. But if its just that extra 200MHz then **** it ...

I believe the FX has another multiplyer?(Not sure what that is, i know it has to do with OCing, and the FX i think 1 more ... (13).

I am new to this stuff, so a little feedback would be nice.

If your willing to spend anything....I would definitely go with a core 2 duo like an e6600 for around 300 bucks. The architecture of the C2D's make them much faster than the athlon 64's and such.

An E6600 will also oc much farther than an fx-62 will and be more powerful clock for clock.

Just ask other people on this forum, the Core 2's are awesome :)

blitzkrieg1110 said:
If your willing to spend anything....I would definitely go with a core 2 duo like an e6600 for around 300 bucks. The architecture of the C2D's make them much faster than the athlon 64's and such.

An E6600 will also oc much farther than an fx-62 will and be more powerful clock for clock.

Just ask other people on this forum, the Core 2's are awesome :)

Hmm ... I might look into them ... What is with opterons?

If you are not concerned about overclocking, which by the sounds of things you are not, get the 5200+ over the FX62. The FX series have unlocked multipliers and more cache, meaning you can clock them higher, but at almost double the price.

As far as AMD vs. Intel, again get whatever you want. You will be happy with a 5200+ or an e6600.

What do you intend to do with the computer?

Martel said:
If you are not concerned about overclocking, which by the sounds of things you are not, get the 5200+ over the FX62. The FX series have unlocked multipliers and more cache, meaning you can clock them higher, but at almost double the price.

As far as AMD vs. Intel, again get whatever you want. You will be happy with a 5200+ or an e6600.

Well, i eventually want to, but when i get it i dont wanna go all out, as im not ready for that.

And i found a really good deal and a FX62 CPU with a free ASUS SLI mobo (Cant remember exact model)

I do many things with computers...

I love AMD and all, but if you're starting from scratch I have to agree with the guys, C2D is the way to go now.

But if you're set on AMD, I'd go with the 5200+ over the FX62. Then again if you have the money, the FX line is pretty cool. :D

BTW, nice screen name. I'm surprised it was still of for grabs. And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Martel said:

Metallica said:
I do many things with computers...

I believe the question was what is your primary focus with your computer. Do you play lots of online games and such? Do you use it mainly for checking email and surfing the web? Do you intend to do video encoding and such? Or will it act as a great big paperweight collecting dust and only get used occasionally for the random office related document programs?

The reason for the question is one type of processor is better suited to certain types of applications and another is better suited to other types of applications, etc, etc. The question was not intended to be a smart remark, but rather to find out what you do with the computer the most so help can be better tailored for your particular needs. ;)

...just my random $0.02 :cool:

If I remember correctly....even a C2D e6300 just slightly overclocked will beat an FX60. e6300's have been known to reach in excess of 3.4ghz or so oc'ed and will smash any AMD FX proc out there.

The reasons why I was recommending the e6600 are these:
1. The e6600 has twice the cache of the e6300 and e6400 (supposedly gives about a 10% performance difference) and
2. An e6600 will easily be below the cost of an FX-62

About your question on Opterons. Opterons are basically dual core X2's in disguise and with double the cache of the lower end models like the 3800+ x2. The most popular opterons on these forums right now are the 165 and 170. They both (usually) oc very well (around 2.7ghz or so average I would say) and don't cost too much money. The 165 runs around 150 dollars on newegg.com and the 170 is around 175 dollars I believe. The difference between them is that the 165 has a 9x multiplier and the 170 has a 10x multiplier (better for ocing). Anyways....hope that answers your questions but please look into the C2D's because I believe they will be your best choice, especially since you don't even have a motherboard for the FX yet...

I would take the FX62 with the MOBO deal. It's about the same cost as the 5200 considering mobo cost and the unlocked multi. FX also comes with a decent sink with heatpipes allowing you to run stock. I know people say Conroe is faster but I still prefer the additional memory bandwidth and less memory headaches with AMD. I'm getting 8mbs on DDR800 with mild OC!

Op: Its all really up to you . But if I was in your shoes I would pick up a e6600 It is faster out of the box and faster than a Overclocked fx chip. + it has more overclocking room in it .

Like others have already said, even the cheapest Core2 based CPU will offer better performance than AMD's fastest and most expensive CPU. Getting a Core 2 Duo to me is a no brainer :). But since you only asked about the FX vs the 5200, I'd say to go with the 5200. The FX chips are great, but are probably better suited for people who are going to make full use of their unlocked multipliers. Plus, the 5200+ will offer a lot smoother experience being that it's dual core.

Woah .. Lots of replies ... lol.
Was on some other forum and all i got was this reply:

Click here (Link went to google).

Anyways, When i said i do alot with computers, i mean:
Gaming +
Programming
I plan on going to collage (having something to do with computers, not sure what though)
Im on it ALOT doing random **** ...
And this OCing stuff looks cool :D
I might start getting into it, just gonna take my time, as i dont wanna mess anything up.

Anyways, Im not gonna start the build till Feb. I dont think the deal with the FX62 + mobo will be around any more.

I will have about 1800$ - 2000$.

So, yea. I have some research to do. I would like to invest more into the computer later on, but i want a working computer for 1800 - 2000$. I would like to get a nice CPU, so i dont have to buy one anytime soon.

So with this 1800$ - 2000$ i want a nice computer, with lots of potential. So theres no use in buying a cheaper CPU, then when i get the money buying another. Now RAM i could do less on, since i can upgrade that anytime, and still use the older RAM. I plan on getting a 8800GTX , since i dont wanna buy a cheaper one then upgrade to that later.

If i bought one of those intel CPU's, do you think i could get 3 GHz out of it? i was aiming for that first. then maybe a little higher as i learn more about OCing.

AlabamaCajun said:
I'm getting 8mbs on DDR800
What real world application benifits from this?

Do any of the applications the OP posted benifit from this?

Last edited:
Metallica said:
If i bought one of those intel CPU's, do you think i could get 3 GHz out of it? i was aiming for that first. then maybe a little higher as i learn more about OCing.

3ghz is a given.

Well, i have been looking at different chips...

Theres a few different ones. ranging from 2.1GHz - 2.66 GHz.

Will they all OC to the same? Or will the higher ones(2.66) OC higher?

I think i have put together a list for a goos system useing the 2.66.

Metallica said:
Well, i have been looking at different chips...

Theres a few different ones. ranging from 2.1GHz - 2.66 GHz.

Will they all OC to the same? Or will the higher ones(2.66) OC higher?

I think i have put together a list for a goos system using the 2.66.
Really, the sweet spots for the C2D's for price/performance/and ocing would be the e6400 and the e6600 (because of the greater cache size). Both will oc over 3.0ghz pretty easily (95% of the time I would say). Both perform extremely well for gaming and other applications, and both are insane value for the money.

The only reason why I'm not going for a C2D next month is that I'm very limited on funds and I also don't want to have to purchase DDR2 ram to replace my aging DDR corsair (C2D's require DDR2). I also want to sink more money into my graphics card as gaming takes up 75% of my time on the computer. Otherwise.....I would definitely go C2D.

I hope this helps!

Think of it this way. As far as raw GHZ are concerned, the e6300+ and the e6700+ are basically the same CPU. The 6300 just comes at a slower speed and half the cache so people can afford it. This is usually is true with other CPUs of the same core too. With that said, the lower rated CPUs overclock higher because they have a lot more room before they reach the limit. Plus overclocking a lower rated CPU is just more fun :D

Well, iv had trouble with intel chips before ... And never had a prob with my AMD.

I think thats why i lean more towards AMD. But im thinking about it.

What could i get a FX62 to with a upgraded air cooling? ... (sythe heatsink, like 40$)

And im really nervous about odering from newegg. What if i get eh CPU and its dmged. They wont take it back :S

Back