• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critical video problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dleast

Hi dare clockers.
I just bumped in to a big problem. I was going to make my little brother a favour and overclock his v3 2000, so I removed the small sink and installed a bigger pentium sink with fan and some artic silver. But when my work is done and i boot the machine the card wont work!! Well infact it gives a single to the monitor but the graphic isnt drawn correct. When I enter BIOS i only see the blue background and a red field that shows my position. All the details are removed. Do u have any idea of whats messing up the picture? I have tried the card in 2 machines and I still get the same problem. I would appriciate any help I could get, my brother will get very upset when I tell him I broke his computer :(

i suggest you take that pentium heatsink off and take some aceton and try to brush Artic Silver off the leads on the core. Artic Silver is conductive and this problem might be the leads being shorted out....

Okey I removed all artic silver and still no luck. Do anyone recognice this problem. The graphic is broke, I have no digital camera but ill try to illustrate with some ansci code =)

||*||*||*||*||*||
||*||*||*||*||*||
||*||*||*||*||*||
||*||*||*||*||*||
||*||*||*||*||*||
||*||*||*||*||*||
||*||*||*||*||*||

A working screen wouldnt have the stars(*). Is there any hope for my brothers V3 card or am I left out with only one solution, buying a new card?

normally when you get Artic Silver on the leads and boot up after that, the card is dead...

Sorry to hear that the card may be DOA, In the future for video cards, use Arctic Alumina or Arctic Alumina Adhesive, its made by the same company as Arctic Silver but Alumina is ceramic based as opposed to silver based, and non electricly conductive.

I hope you get your bro's card workin but it sounds like it kapoot.

Ps The Netherlands rock, I go once a year

Thanx for the good advices, I guess there's nothing more to do. I learned it the hard way, next time I will be more careful.

Back