• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xfx8800gtx warranty question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heydo6

Registered
i was just wondering how xfx would know if i oc there card . i mean if i set it back to stock clocks and rma it how would they know what i did . if i put a water block (which is a must for me) on it and save everything so i can replace it back to stock cooling they should never know . right ?

Last edited:
heydo6 said:
i was just wondering how xfx would know if i oc there card . i mean if i set it back to stock clocks and rma it how would they know what i did . if i put a water block (which if a must for me) on it and save everything so i can replace it back to stock cooling they should never know . right ?

Simple answer is they won't know you OC'ed the card and depending on your skill level they will
not know you changed the cooling to WC and then reversed it either.

Now if you are just planning on slapping a standard water block and some ramsinks on the card
be prepared for a short Vcore PS and/or NV I/O chip lifespan. The Vcore mosfets and the NV I/O
chip are all cooled by the stock air cooler. Pull it off and you loose the cooling on those parts as
well which must be made up for.

Viper

i plan on useing the ek eddy water block it is comeing monday . i just got my xfx8800gtx card today .

on another note ... this stock cooling looks kinda tough to take off ...lol

coolbits don't seem to work with this card ? what else should i use ?

i was wondering if you can run sli with 8800gtx and two different brands ? i have xfx 8800gtx do i have to have another xfx to run sli or can i use evga ? thanks for your help john

heydo6 said:
i was wondering if you can run sli with 8800gtx and two different brands ? i have xfx 8800gtx do i have to have another xfx to run sli or can i use evga ? thanks for your help john

The simple answer is yes but sometimes cards with different bios version do not mix well together. That is easy enough to correct though.

Viper

I'm pretty sure nvidia recommends buying the same brand, but if the clocks are exactly the same.... i couldnt see why it wouldnt work.

TheCheat said:
I'm pretty sure nvidia recommends buying the same brand, but if the clocks are exactly the same.... i couldnt see why it wouldnt work.

i have heard if the clocks are different it just uses the lower clock ...

my xfx card seems to be sweet and temps are great for stock cooler . i was undering only cause if another good deal comes around should i get it or do i have to wait for a xfx again . i still need to upgrade my psu before i get another gtx anyways .

here is another question for you john maybe you can help me with . i run dual monitors mostly but i also have my 32in. lcd hooked up with s-video .
problem is i can't seem to get the tv working at the same time as my monitors . with my 7900gt's i had know problem running all three of them . my guess is i need another gpu to get my tv and both monitors up and running again at the same time off my rig ?

heydo6 said:
i have heard if the clocks are different it just uses the lower clock ...

my xfx card seems to be sweet and temps are great for stock cooler . i was undering only cause if another good deal comes around should i get it or do i have to wait for a xfx again . i still need to upgrade my psu before i get another gtx anyways .

here is another question for you john maybe you can help me with . i run dual monitors mostly but i also have my 32in. lcd hooked up with s-video .
problem is i can't seem to get the tv working at the same time as my monitors . with my 7900gt's i had know problem running all three of them . my guess is i need another gpu to get my tv and both monitors up and running again at the same time off my rig ?

If the cards clocks are different the drivers will just set both cards in the SLI to the lower of the two. The cards must be from the same specific family, have the same amount of memory and the same pipeline and shaders counts.
Supposedly they can have different bios versions but I have seen SLI fail many time when the only difference was the bios version each card had though.

When it comes to multi monitor setups I am pretty dumb. I have only toyed with them briefly a couple of times with ATI cards and never with NV cards. While I got a display I can't say I had any real success with it either. MM's are just something I am not into.

Viper

i am guess you must have did the vmod on your gtx right ? i was wondering how hard that was ? i put a mod chip in a ps2 a couple years ago but i don't solder very much at all .

heydo6 said:
i am guess you must have did the vmod on your gtx right ? i was wondering how hard that was ? i put a mod chip in a ps2 a couple years ago but i don't solder very much at all .

If you are talking to me the answer is yes the carda are fully modded.

Viper

Back