• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac OSX + Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstert

Registered
Hey there, i have Windows XP on my main C drive but i was wondering if it is possible to install MAC OSX on my second HDD (my E drive) without wiping out any data that is already on there.... and choose which OS i wish to use.

Anybody with any ideas?

Cheers:)

Well, for one, you must understand that OSX is not intended to work normally on our computers. It has come to a point where it might. I say might, because your sig states that you have an AMD. These have been finicky, to say the least. Other than that, you should be able to just boot from the OSX dvd, format the second HDD, and install to it, then boot from it.

what you want to do is possible but not legal. It works with a LOT of massaging and a LOT of bugs. You have to have either the right hardware, custom drivers or both. Do a web search for project osx86 and you'll find a bevy of information to read on this, or better yet just buy a Mac. I did.

FudgeNuggets said:
what you want to do is possible but not legal. It works with a LOT of massaging and a LOT of bugs. You have to have either the right hardware, custom drivers or both. Do a web search for project osx86 and you'll find a bevy of information to read on this, or better yet just buy a Mac. I did.

There are scenarios where it is legal. I have a Macbook laptop. I sent it back for repair, they idled around, wound up sending me a new one, with another copy of OSX. That means I have 2 legal copies of OSX, but am only using one, so it is legal for me to have a copy of OSX on my desktop computer that I am planning to build.

Midnight Dream said:
There are scenarios where it is legal. I have a Macbook laptop. I sent it back for repair, they idled around, wound up sending me a new one, with another copy of OSX. That means I have 2 legal copies of OSX, but am only using one, so it is legal for me to have a copy of OSX on my desktop computer that I am planning to build.

I have a legal copy of OSX, and it does not even have or require a cd-key or serial number of any kind. I was under the impression that the OSX licensing was such that it was simply bound to Apple hardware, and that installing it on other hardware was illegal whether you have a legal "copy" or not.

It is never legal since unless you reverse engineer and patch OSX, it will never run on "normal" PCs. And this reverse engineering is not allowed under DMCA, no matter how many "licenses" you have.

FudgeNuggets said:

Cheers mate, i'll have a search and read up:)

klingens said:
It is never legal since unless you reverse engineer and patch OSX, it will never run on "normal" PCs. And this reverse engineering is not allowed under DMCA, no matter how many "licenses" you have.

I forget the exacts which I had read, but by some loophole in the EULA, it was legal.

Misfit138 said:
I have a legal copy of OSX, and it does not even have or require a cd-key or serial number of any kind. I was under the impression that the OSX licensing was such that it was simply bound to Apple hardware, and that installing it on other hardware was illegal whether you have a legal "copy" or not.

It is not bound to hardware, but bound to the actual installations. You have 1 copy of OSX, you are allowed to install OSX on 1 machine. That means if you purchase a macbook and an imac, but only get one copy, pre-installed on your macbook, you can uninstall it and legally install it on your imac. The same applies to a PC.

Aye there was a legal patch way back. I forget where I read it (perhaps on one of the article links on the front page). But, of course, you sitll need a copy of macosx.

Midnight Dream said:
I forget the exacts which I had read, but by some loophole in the EULA, it was legal.

It is not bound to hardware, but bound to the actual installations. You have 1 copy of OSX, you are allowed to install OSX on 1 machine. That means if you purchase a macbook and an imac, but only get one copy, pre-installed on your macbook, you can uninstall it and legally install it on your imac. The same applies to a PC.

No it doesn't. Apple specifically states in their EULA that it is bound to 1 APPLE machine. Install it on a non-Apple machine and you are in violation.

FudgeNuggets said:
No it doesn't. Apple specifically states in their EULA that it is bound to 1 APPLE machine. Install it on a non-Apple machine and you are in violation.

It must of been changed then. Upon my last investigation of it, it stated

Apple EULA said:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time.

Midnight Dream said:
Well, for one, you must understand that OSX is not intended to work normally on our computers. It has come to a point where it might. I say might, because your sig states that you have an AMD. These have been finicky, to say the least. Other than that, you should be able to just boot from the OSX dvd, format the second HDD, and install to it, then boot from it.
Standard disclaimer:

Such actions are in violation of the Mac OS X End-User License agreement and violate anticurcumvention provisions of the United States Digital Millenium Copyright Act. (You must bypass protective code that looks for a trusted platform module to get OS X to work on a plain vanilla x86 box.)]

This aside, it is possible, and assuming you're good at keepin' Apple from jumping down your throat with a cease-and-desist order, I don't see much technically in your way.

It is legal

I think i read somewhere that it is legal b/c the proccesor code is rewritten to use an x86 proccesor i'm about to instal JaS 10.4.7 on my POS laptop. Wish me luck.

i don't feel like thumbing thru the EULA, but I am pretty sure that OS X is only licensed to run on apple hardware, regardless of architecture similarities. Therefore, it is illegal to install OS X on any computer, x86 or other, that is not a genuine Apple computer.

That is my understanding.

splat said:
i don't feel like thumbing thru the EULA, but I am pretty sure that OS X is only licensed to run on apple hardware, regardless of architecture similarities. Therefore, it is illegal to install OS X on any computer, x86 or other, that is not a genuine Apple computer.

That is my understanding.

and you are correct. look at my sig. I'm one of the few here who own and use one.

Back