• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.5 floppy not responding....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aupilotxp

I've got a Gigabyte GA-7DX Mobo...and no matter what i try....my floppy drive wont read disk...i've tried the drive in other comps and it works fine...i've tried another floppy in its place.....i've tried new cables....i've reversed the cables....i've checked the connections...i've tried diff power supply cables....I've set the BIOS to default settings...and almost anything else you can think of....could it be the fact that im running Windows XP......or is it probably my MOBO or BIOS......I've fried my brain...and still I see the message...........Please insert a disk into Drive A:..........Someone please help.......plus......i no longer have the receipt for my mobo....i have all my other reciepts...just happened to accidentaly throw away that one...go figure...anyways...help if you can...it will be greatly appreciated....thanx alot...:confused:

Cheapest way to figure it out is try a floppy drive from another computer. Seeing as you don't have the reciept for your MB and you've tried everything else, seems like the only way to test it. Most stores can track back to when you bought your MB though. They don't like doing it because it's a pain in the *** to do, but if you nag at them enough they can do something for you. The trick is to immediately ask for their superior when they start giving you any resistance.

yea i had a similar problem with my floppy last month... do u have "bootup floppy seek" enabled in your bios? It should tell ya if the drive is even detecting at boot. Otherwise, try a different cable or what crystal recommended and plug it in another comp. Or can even try to get another floppy and plug it in and see if it works. My problem it turned out to be a faulty floppy drive and a faulty cable( go figure :( )

I had the same problem about 8 months ago and i thought the controller went bad on it too but i had a second computer and different motherboard and it did the same thing.

It would recognize the floppy but it wouldnt work.

I found out later that the floppy cable connected in the middle it wouldnt work but when i connected it at the end it did work.

I had 3 cables like that I think they are not manufacturing the cables very well. If you have tried this and it still doesnt work then it has to be something else. But i felt Pretty dumb when thats what it was. Good luck just wanted to tell you a problem i encountered and hopefully it is something simple.

you can try doing it in Windows...under system properties, and device manager...then under Disk Drives, try to reinstall the drive for your floopy.....also check your cable, if you connect it to the mobo upside down, it won't work...:D

If either end is connected upside down the little green light should stay on and never go off.

I would try clearing your CMOS and/or flashing your BIOS. I find this helps when I run into floppy problems.

SB

re installing drivers didn't work

I already tried that...just dont usually call it disk controller...lol....How do i clear CMOS...and or flash BIOS....I'm almost positive i know how....just not 100 percent

clearing the cmos...there should be a small jumper somewhere on your mobo (check your mobo book or look online). on this jumper you shift it over one pin for a few seconds then put it back. after this you should have a clean slate in terms of your bios. reset all your bios settings and you might be good to go. just look online for tips, i don't know jack about gigabyte boards.

jeff

Back