• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC -- It's Time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoMatta

So it's been a while since I built a system (2 years) and I'm a bit behind on my stuff. Now that I'm a "working" man I'm willing to drop a bit more on the system and basically took some ideas from those who are "big spenders" and slapped them all together :beer:.

Here is the list that I have come up with, please give me advice on anything you see, I'm very open to recomendations. One issue was the cost, I have the money to spend but it really doesn't mean I want to spend it. If you see an area where something can be trimmed back a bit with little to no performance loss noticeable please let me know.

Case TJ-07 329.99
Mobo Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi 194.99
CPU E6600 317.00
Memory 2x 1gb Corsair 1066 Extreme 364.00
HD WD 250gb 69.99
Video EVGA 8800GTX 609.99
PSU Silverstone Zeus 124.99
DVDR Sony 16x DVDRW 44.99
Monitor Samsung 20" LCD 349.99
Mouse Razer 2000dpi Green 57.99
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse 39.99

Total: $2503.91

I'm going to be using an Audigy 2ZS from my old computer as I see no reason to slap a new sound card into this one. I'm buying a new monitor because my old rig is still a viable system and I want to keep it in operations for movies or burning or whatever really. I also already have a dual monitor setup and couldn't live without it, 3 monitors ftw i say!

Any recomendations on air cooling for this bad boy would be greatly appreciated. Also, do I have enough power to run this? Wasn't sure if 2 PSU's would be needed and I know the case can handle them.

General comments and thoughts are also appreciated. I wrote a project blog on my current rig (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=389659) and plan on doing the same with this one.

Thanks for everyone's help!! :bday:

You could probably drop down from GTX to GTS. You probably won't even notice and difference and save a lot of money, even if your a regular gamer. But you really want, you can go with GTX. The rest looks good, I suppose. Here is a link someone else gave me for HD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145129

That will probably save you some money right there with no or little performance lost.

Also for the keybaord I would go for G15 if you can afford it but Eclipse works too.

Yes, I had looked at the G15 but realized I probably wouldn't use all the extra features to justify it. normally I would buy it anyways "just in case", but i can't justify taking up that much space on my desktop (it's a large keyboard I've heard) "just in case" i use some buttons, as I've always gotten by with a standard keyboard.

As for the hard drive, I was actually thinking of switching it to a 250g Barracuda, but that Hitachi looks nice for an additional $10 to get that much more space. I've been running on 160g the last couple of years and as soon as I found the beauty that is torrent I noticed myself filling it up extremely fast :bang head:.

Thanks for the recommends :bday:

edit:

i was considering the switch to a GTS also, so I think I'll just go with it. Saves $300 which is huge.

Back