• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

Okay, I'm planning to build a new pc this week, with an Asus Crosshair motherboard and an AMD64 AM2 X2 4400+ processor, however I'm stuck about what RAM to get.

I'm hoping to overclock it from about 200Mhz to over 300Mhz FSB (hence getting an expensive motherboard) so, because its dual-pumped, I thought this memory would be fine: http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/pr...9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=114721 since its 800 Mhz (so even at 360Mhz FSB it would only be 720Mhz total.)
Yet then someone told me that having only DDR2 6400GB would limit my overclocking, which doesn't make sense, but is it true? And will the loose timings hamper gamingperformance (with, say, an X1900XT?) If these won't make good overclockers, can someone suggest some decent DDR2 ram for under £200?

That RAM won't limit your O/C with the system you are proposing. However, AMD does respond well to tighter timings. Ebuyer seems to be limited in the RAM department, but if I were to buy any of that PC2-6400 RAM, it would be the Corsair XMS2-6400 4-4-4-12. What I'm really having trouble understanding though is why in the world you would even consider AMD right now when even the cheapest Intel Core 2 Duo outperforms and kills anything AMD currently offers.

Back