• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

148 opty 1st OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trikk

Registered
this my first OCing ever.

bought this cpu cause it is suppose to do well.. my setup is shown and my question is what do i set the RAM at.. right now i lowered the mhz to 166.. cause it isnt stable at the others which are 180 and 200... cant go over 200 cause its only 400 g skill..

1317133010.jpg

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4515923

picture isnt clear so i put the link in.... cpu @ 2.7 260x10.5. runs at under 40c under load.

any help would be great.. thnx

lata
trikk

Last edited:
i would try to get rid of that .5 multi and just run with a whole... should be able to push 245 x 11 with ram set on 166

I HAD THE FSB AT 230 AND IT ERROR ED AT X11 MULTI.... BUT I BELIEVE THE RAMWAS AT 200... SHOULD I TRY TO CHANGE THE RAM TIMING ...
also what should the volts be at cause right now i haven't messed with them and they i am sure are on auto... 1.4v cpu

thnx

Last edited:
First, I'll agree with Smoky:
Stay away from the x.5 multis & stick with whole numbers.
Your sig says 2GB of GSkill RAM, what RAM exactly are you running?
DFI Lanparty boards are generally marvelous overclockers, but have SO many adjustments that its very easy to dial yourself right out of the ball park. Getting all the RAM settings right is critical.
Study these threads to learn how to get your system up to speed:

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Opteron, X2

DFI Stable Settings Thread

Be patient, work at it systematically & you'll find out what your Opty can do. This is part of the fun of overclocking.

I've got an Opty 148 on a DFI Lanparty Ultrs D Expert board currently at 2870GHz (CPU @ 287x10) with 2x512MB of OCZ PC4800 Platinum Elite at 200 (1:1). It'll do a bit more but is not so stable at higher settings. I had hoped for more , but this still isn't too bad.
Good Luck & have fun.
-Dave

i am currently at 2.6 260x10 and still have the ram at 166..
it is orthos and super pi stable for hours now... but i have not changed anything except the ram setting the rest are at "auto" settings.
this is the ram: G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

thnx for the input guys

trikk

Keep the ram at or under 200mhz as reported in CPU-Z. Drop it to the next lower multiplier and keep pushing. With your temps and your low volts you can easily get more out of that processor.

I'd aim for either 50c under load or 1.5v as your max, whichever comes first.

EDIT: If you want to tweak the ram a bit, try using 3-4-4-8 timings. Also, increase the volts up a notch or two. This is necessary though, as most of your performance increase will come from CPU frequency increases. Good luck.

Upgrading to a 939 board and a cheap single core opty is tempting. I keep seeing people getting 3.0 ghz or close to it. I'd have to get a PCIe graphics card, unless I went for another NForce 3 board. I think I'll hold off until I can afford a dual core system.

how long do i burn my machine in as a rule of thumb...

it runs at 2.60 260 fsb x 10...and the temps are a steady 35-37 under load... i have runs orthos on the blend stress for cpu and ram for 30 hours and nothing...

what is the next step or do i say this is good..<---prob not lol..

also i have a x2 3800 that overheats... i just put a new psu and HS and fan and it still runs 50c+... not under load...HELP plx

thnx
trikk

trikk said:
how long do i burn my machine in as a rule of thumb...

it runs at 2.60 260 fsb x 10...and the temps are a steady 35-37 under load... i have runs orthos on the blend stress for cpu and ram for 30 hours and nothing...

what is the next step or do i say this is good..<---prob not lol..

also i have a x2 3800 that overheats... i just put a new psu and HS and fan and it still runs 50c+... not under load...HELP plx

thnx
trikk

Temps are great keep pushing it up. I don't do any burn in but to test for stability I want it to pass Super PI 32 M, 8 hours + Orthos/Prime95 Small FTT's stable. I really like to see 24 hours of Orthos/P95 to call it stable.

I would think that chip has some more in it.

at what point do i look at changing the volts for the ram or the cpu....

right now it is all set to auto<---volts wise...

and the cpu vid runs at 1.38 on cpu-z..i set the timing too what was recommended..

lata
trikk

The point for more volts varries chip to chip. I would be sure to keep the HT and RAM @ or below spec until you decide on a max OC for your processor. I would bump voltage in .05v jumps. See this thread for some help and more details on how to isolate each part to find max OC's then put it all together.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

i have run it at 265x10.5 but someone recommended that i not use the .5 multi so i went back to 10x260=2600 just to be safe.. but the machine ran both of them fine..

i have the ram backed off to 166.. though and the speed of the ram is currently at 216.... and when i was over 2750 it was at 221<--i think really close..

so i am wondering what ur educated guess would be as too the top of this chip??

how much does .5 volts change temps all things being equal. what is a rule of thumb as far as this goes..

thnx

trikk.

Last edited:
have you tried your 11x multi? with your ram turned down to 166?
you should have no problems running 255-265x11 @ 1.45-1.475v (2805-2915)which should only push your ram slightly over 200mhz... as long as your ram doesnt go too much past 200mhz, there should be no reason to loosen timings on the ram.

with mine, i wanted to keep the ram as close to 250mhz as possible so i run it 300 x 10 @ 1.54v (which is the same as i did on air...zalman 9500 never broke past 46 degrees) put the ram on a divider (166) which cranks it up to 250mhz
with manually set stock settings for everything else on my ram...(not auto)

i think i could pull more out of this chip, but im going to hold off since im ordering my opty 175 this weekend along with a bigger rad

i dont see any reason for your chip to not be able to hit 2.8-2.9 without going overboard on temps...

overclocking is definitely one of those patience is a virtue type hobbies

trikk said:
so i am wondering what ur educated guess would be as too the top of this chip??

how much does .5 volts change temps all things being equal. what is a rule of thumb as far as this goes..

thnx

trikk.
A guess would be just that a guess so I am not going to guess. Most of the K8's seem to be good to 2.7 at least but not all. Some will do up to 3.0 or some even higher. I would think something in the 2.7 ~ 2.8 area would be pushing max on air.

If you give it .5v more you will fry the chip for sure. You need to step it in .05v steps. .05v more will raise the temps a minimual amount until you start giving it more MHz. Just upping the vlots .05v will only be a degree or three at the same speed but as you increase the speed the heat dump gets larger. Usally a small jump to like 1.4v will yield pretty good results but after you hit a cap at 1.4v it seems to take lots more to go faster. Just mess with it and keep a watchful eye on temps. Mine has temp crashed 3 times now w/o damage when I was going for higher volts. My 165 crashes at around 65°c. I would not suggest running any hotter than 60°c in Prime 95 with Small FTT's.

i had the ram higher when i tried the x11 multi... havent tried it since i dropped the ram to 166...but i did try it at 180 and 200 and it would boot into windows, but error at super pi.. i also havent tried the voltage change..

thnx..

trikk

i just bumped my multi up to 11 and the fsb is at 261 ..
261x11=2870 ram is at 205mhz
1.39 volts..and the temps havent topped 37c in super pi or orthos..

what else should i check for problems..?? or do i look good(fingers crossed)

thnx
trikk

Looks good so far. Have you had any stability issues?

Make sure your HTT is at or below 1000, so 3x HTT multi.

Also, just to be safe, I'd drop your ram down to the next lower divider.

It will save you a lot of headache and time later if you determine the max of each of your components separately.

If you can pass a decent length of Orthos and SuperPi 32M, I'd keep upping the FSB in 4-5mhz increments (around 50mhz with 11 multi) until you start to experience problems. Then based on temps either increase Vcore or drop the FSB to keep pushing.

Good work so far.

my HTT on cpuz is at 1052... so this is bad???

i havent had a single stability issue and have even touched the voltage at all.. cpu or ram..

thnx
trikk

Back