• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCEPTRE X20WG-Naga Black 20.1" 5ms (GTG) VS BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" 8ms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well i do not know alot about the sceptre but have heard nothing but great reviews on the Benq. Someday i will buy an LCD and it will be the BenQ or later this year one of there new ones coming out, pure sweetness. :drool:

I just ordered one of the Sceptre's. After rebate, that's just too good of a deal to pass up.

I just hope my 7950 will push it well at it's native res.

Last edited:
Mine should arrive tommorrow. Just wondering though, will a single 7950GT(overcocked, of course) push this thing in 16bit color at its native res of 1680x1050? I like all the eye candy turned on, as well.

I bought a x1900XT recently, and will be installing it eventually, when I get my DFI board and re-do my water loop. Would it do a better job, or should I start thinking about SLi or crossfire?

68Injunhed said:
Mine should arrive tommorrow. Just wondering though, will a single 7950GT(overcocked, of course) push this thing in 16bit color at its native res of 1680x1050? I like all the eye candy turned on, as well.

I bought a x1900XT recently, and will be installing it eventually, when I get my DFI board and re-do my water loop. Would it do a better job, or should I start thinking about SLi or crossfire?

It depends on what you mean by push? Like for gaming....? then it depends on your cpu etc...if you are talking for web surfing then your card is more then enough....

In the end I am debating these 2 monitors for a few reasons.....

1) the benQ has received nothing but rave reviews while the scepter has been called a great buy...for the money
-----so the question is; is $30 worth the supposed back light bleed and chinchy stand? (I don't count mail in rebates)

2) the scepter has a better refresh rate and better contrast....do these specs translate into a true advantage? or are they just specs?

3) which of these monitors have better ascetics ( I can look at pictures all day long, but you never truly know how cheap or nice something looks, until you get it in front of you.

I am looking to buy finally, since my eyes are bleeding, with this huge CRT :(

I bought the Sceptre..backlight bleeding, darker at the top than the rest of them monitor, and a dead pixel + a stuck pixel. Response is pretty damn good but the glaring flaws and overall cheap feel and look of the monitor is hard to overlook. Not to say you'll get dead pixels, but the other issues may be more common than people are saying in the newegg reviews.

Maybe I just got a bad one..or everyone on Newegg reviewing it has low standards, be wary. I returned mine for a refund.

Also, what refresh rate are you running on your CRT? They should be very easy on the eyes if configured correctly..

SirRoxen said:
I bought the Sceptre..backlight bleeding, darker at the top than the rest of them monitor, and a dead pixel + a stuck pixel. Response is pretty damn good but the glaring flaws and overall cheap feel and look of the monitor is hard to overlook. Not to say you'll get dead pixels, but the other issues may be more common than people are saying in the newegg reviews.

Maybe I just got a bad one..or everyone on Newegg reviewing it has low standards, be wary. I returned mine for a refund.

Also, what refresh rate are you running on your CRT? They should be very easy on the eyes if configured correctly..

when electrical things are on in my house.....I run 60hz...and 85 for gaming and nothing running :)

actually....60hz for some reason is the only thing that seems to be running well now...anything more and I get a lot of motion.....could be the heater running...

I bought the Sceptre, don't have a frame of reference as to other LCD's, but I like it. The wide screen is excellent, running at the 1680x1050 resolution. No dead/stuck pixels according to a tester, and I sure don't see any in use. I lost nothing in AquaMark3, even with the 60Hz refresh. No ghosting, except for a tiny bit on the mouse when I move it quickly, but it's mostly unnoticable.

I think the stand is a bit flimsy, but sitting on a solid desk it's not an issue. Overall asthetics of the piece seem pretty nice though. Hell, most things feel somewhat "plasticy" nowadays anyhow. I get a tiny bit of backlight bleed at the top of the screen, but it's not annoying, you have to look to see it at all, even on a black background.

Yea you wouldn't lose any performance switching monitors..

Do you notice any part of the screen being darker then the other? Move something from one part of the screen to another and see. And with the d-sub cable you'll most likely see some text on certain colors having a white shadow. DVI will get rid of this and improve image quality considerably.

Glad you like it, but I think I'll stick with CRT for now after that experience.

Well, my expectation of a performance loss was based on going from 10x7 resolution to 1680x1050. I expected a little performance hit in real games, not benchmakrs, but to my surprise, I get a solid 85 frames in America's Army, more than I got with my CRT, which was limited to my refresh rate. It was weird, refresh at 60hz, 60 frames, 85 hz, 85 frames, etc...

I did have to manually set my resolution in my .ini file though. Thanks to that widescreen gaming sticky.

LOL, you learn something every day. I knew there was a setting for Vsync, just didn't know what it did. Bonus.

treepop said:
actually....60hz for some reason is the only thing that seems to be running well now...anything more and I get a lot of motion.....could be the heater running...

Be sure you have Vsync turned on, so you don't get banding...

Issue with Benq FP202W and e-VGA 7950 GT KO

Hi everyone!

I'm desperetly trying to find information, on how to run my Benq at it's nominal resolution (that's 1650x1080 @60 Hz). Everything works fine under old D -Sub cable with DVI to D-Sub adaptor - monitor works fine at it's nominal resolution. But when I power my comp off, switch to DVI (since that's why I bought double DVI ported card) and power on, the highest resolution I can switch to is 1024x768 @ 75 Hz. I'vve already tried every single NVidia driver, switching DVI cable to the second DVI port, cleaning (including manual delete of NVidia fileas) and reinstalling drivers again and so on. Lately I have downloaded Power Strip, as I've read somewhere that it might be Windows is trying to use wrong frequencies on DVI ports, but it's no help. I tried to find advanced specification of Benq's nominal resolution, to type it in Power Strip and add my custom configured resolution, but everything I can find is Hor and Ver refresh rates.
My hardware configuration is as follows:

EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer MUODY
Generator Muuuody
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-04-17
Time 17:59

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Dodatek Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name MUODY
User Name Muuuody

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 630, 3233 MHz (15 x 216)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945G
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (08/04/06)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT (512 MB)
Monitor BenQ FP202W (Digital) [NoDB] (1648405)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative Audigy LS Audio Processor

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Disk Drive Maxtor 6V250F0 (233 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Maxtor 7V250F0 (233 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive ASUS DRW-1608P3S (DVD+R9:6x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Input:
Keyboard Urządzenie klawiatury HID
Mouse Mysz zgodna z HID

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (10.0.0.4)
Network Adapter TechniSat DVB-PC TV Star PCI (192.168.238.238)

Peripherals:
Printer PrimoPDF
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Ideazon Fang Composite Keyboard Device
USB Device Infinity USB Unlimited
USB Device Razer Copperhead USB Mouse
USB Device Urządzenie kompozytowe USB
USB Device Urządzenie kompozytowe USB
USB Device Urządzenie USB interfejsu HID

HDD Maxtor 6V250F0
HDD Maxtor 7V250F0
Monitor BNQ76C3: BenQ FP202W (Digital) [NoDB]
Motherboard 08/04/2006-I945-6A79TS03C-00
Motherboard DMIMOBO: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 945PL-S3
Motherboard DMISYS:
Motherboard Intel 945 BIOS for 945PL-S3 F2
PCI/AGP 10DE-0295: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT [NoDB]

If any of you knows what might be the problem or can provide me detailed configuration for BENQ nominal resoultion, then please give me a reply, cause I'm starting to think that I won't solve this myself. :bang head

Regards,

muody

Back