• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XTTX

Canceled then reordered my stuff from newegg because I ordered some memory that didn't quite live up to my standards.

So....
Here's the list of parts
1 NZXT Nemesis Elite Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
2 Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
1 EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6700 - Retail
1 eVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card - Retail
1 SONY Combo Drive Black IDE Model CRX320EE/B2S W/O SW - OEM
2 G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
1 ENERMAX GALAXY EGA1000EWL-DXX ATX / BTX 1000W Gamers Edition Power Supply - Retail
1 ASUS 90-C1CHFA-HUAY1 PhysX Processing Unit 128MB GDDR3 PCI PhysX P1 Ghost Recon Edition Physics Card - Retail

Overkill in terms of the PhysX card, 4GBs of mem, and PSU :).

I will :D. I wish time could go forward so I could get this thing built. I just need an update in my monitor XD, maybe I should trade the physx for a new monitor

Oh yea, forgot to mention peripherals:
Mouse: Razer Copperhead
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Headphones: Razer Barracuda HP-1 (I just ordered their audio card too from Amazon)
Printer: Samsung CLP-501
Monitor: 27" VERY BAD RESOLUTION LCD monitor/tv + 17" LCD
Speakers: Sicuro 2.1 360 surround sound (from old sys); I"m hoping for the new Razer Makos when they come out

As you can tell I'm a bit of a razer fanboy.

Well, just ordered a Thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink from Xoxide; hopefully it will come before I put the motherboard in (since it's almost as big as a tuniq tower 120); plus I think it requires work on the back of the mobo. Has anybody used this heatsink?

Also, as for overclocking, does anybody know some good specs to overclock to on the QX6700, mem, and gpu? I don't want to risk damaging anything on this build (even if the chances are low).

Also, for the case (NZXT Nemesis Elite), I've been reading about the thermostats and I see that they have to be taped down to places. Do you think you could give me suggestions on this? Will the tape leave residue, and especially for the processor, do you think this will mess up the cpu connection to the heatsink?

Seriously forget the physX, if it ever actually catches on prorperly sometime down the road theres nothing stopping you getting one then.
As far as future games go I think the introduction of all the dual+quad core cpu's just killed the physX before it even got going.

Just going to ask for you guys' opinion. Do you think that I should wait for my heatsink to come in before putting my mobo inside the case? Or do you think I should go w/ the stock intel heatsink until the other one arrives. I'm not a very patient person :X

Why spoil fun?

It's up to you if you want to wait or don't. But then again, you will have to remove motherboard out of the case to install new heatsink. Though you might want run caseless until you get new heatsink.

I'd wait for the new heatsink. I'm also impatient, but I also work on commission so I hate doing jobs twice. More efficient in the long run to wait for the heatsink and only do the job one time.

Then again, I'd also chooce a different case, a different power supply, only one (smaller) hard drive, and I'd ditch the PhysX card.

Any suggestions for running caseless (safety precautions etc), and I agree with you wayward son, the reason why I asked was because I realize that the HSF needs to have the screws put in through the bottom of the mobo (and that I don't have a tray).

Well, my audio stuff just came in today. So, I have tested out my Razer Barracuda HP-1. As far as running w/ onboard sound it's really nice even without the 5.1 sound. I will do further testing when I build the PC because I have the AC-1 from Razer too. As for the main parts, everything will be here tomorrow :santa: ; I decided, however, that I will not finish putting it together until Friday because that is when my heatsink will arrive.

I would have waited on the physx card, i read on anandtech that there is a new generation of those ageia physx cards coming out that are gona blow away the first version. I cant find the article but i read it a few days ago, i believe it was part of their CES 2007 review.

Spawne32 said:
I would have waited on the physx card, i read on anandtech that there is a new generation of those ageia physx cards coming out that are gona blow away the first version. I cant find the article but i read it a few days ago, i believe it was part of their CES 2007 review.
Not that I have anything against Ageia but I bet those will bomb in sales just like the first ones.......But what do I know

Forget about the PhysX card... it's worthless... just grab an X1900 if you have a use for a GPGPU unit. (An X1900(621mhz) acting as a GPGPU is about 6x more powerful then a PPU)

Try to get your hands on one of ATi's RD600 weilding mainboards and use the SLI hack, even though it's not an SLI mainboard... it outperforms the best nVidia has.

The PSU is not really overkill for that rig BTW.

And don't get 2Gb sticks of DDR2, get 4 1Gb DDR2-1066 sticks and put a fan over them. The RD600 can hold 1:1 even with RAM that fast.

Hey, I need somet technical advice. I set everything up (case and all) just to see how it would run. Problem I'm running into is that it will shut off during boot. I hear the fan speed increasing a lot before it shuts down, so I assume that it's a HSF problem. (Right now I'm running a stock Intel HSF, which I'm REALLY fed up with. Two corners of the heatsink will lock into the mobo easy, but the other two have to be forced (and I assume that's why I"m having the problem. Do you think I should wait for my big typhoon to come, because this is really starting to frustrate me (the HSF that is). I also had a fun time not reading my case manual and trying to look for a power led connector for 1 hour lol.

Sounds like its possible the CPU is overheating during startup and the saftey shutdown is kicking in during boot.

Yeah, that's what I assumed considering my hard time putting in the heatsink and the fan increasing speed after turned on. I think I will just wait till the nice old UPS guy comes tomorrow w/ my package :). It'll be fun to take out everything and put it back in :rolleyes: . BTW, anybody have any good cable management advice? Currently, my cables are connected where they need to be and otherwise sticking out everywhere.

Back